WW1 1/32 German & Austro-Hungarian Lozenge schemes reproduction: the fabric texture question

thierry laurent

Hi gents,

It looks most decal sets in kits or aftermarket ones generally give either quite gaudy/flashy colors or correctly toned down colors but with a fabric effect. The fabric effect looks VERY nice (I got such 1/32 sets from various manufacturers) but the more I look at pictures and consider the scale, the less I'm convinced that effect should actually be visible on a 1/32 scale model. Finally, we are considering thread and not cord thickness! In 1/24 or 1/16 this may possibly be different.

Don't get me wrong, I think that -aesthetically- this gives a terrific look. For instance, when I'm taking what are probably the best lozenge markings in plastic kits and compare them with many aftermarket ones, I generally prefer the latter ones without any doubt (at least for their colors). Moreover, kit decals do not look like dyed fabric on wings or a fuselage because there are no microvariations in the colors. At least decals with that fabric effect give that heterogeneousness feeling that 'looks' more real.

However, I'm wondering regarding the accuracy of a visible fabric texture and if the most accurate scheme would not be toned down colors with slight variations but without that visually attractive effect.

So, is it another case of artistic approach vs accuracy in scale?

What do you think?

Good question. As with fabric covered surfaces on WWII planes, pretty much any representation is going to be over-scale. Lozenge is no different, but the fabric effect absolutly adds an artistic dimension quite lacking in plainer decals. One could say it reinforces a sense of the fragile lethality of these craft.

1 hour ago, europapete said:

If true to scale, one would not see the fabric weave, it's barely visible on the real 'plane as the dopes and paints/varnishes fill the weave. BUT it does add that extra dimension that very definately adds the the look of the model. 

Modeling texture on fabric is pretty much the same as engraving massive ditches across the surfaces of our kits in the name of accuracy - both are pretty much nonexistent on real airplanes but we insist on modeling them that way anyway.

Scale modelling is really all about representation, rather than replication. This often means making choices that compromise the pure technical accuracy of a thing to create a more believable result. It's a paradox, a contradiction, a conundrum. Hence rivets, highlighted panel lines, overscale details...and visible fabric effects. From a scale fidelity point of view, most of those things shouldn't be on a scale model; but without them, the model can look like a toy.

Kev