JCote

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

Jean, your work in progress is simply breathtaking....

hard to find the right words when looking a those beatifully engineered brass parts.

Your foam method is simply inspiring: I'm considering making a full scratch kit on a long term period and now, you've brought an answer to many problems I was thinking about.

I owe you a pint if we cross our way at Flight66 ( Olivier told me you come to this shop )

chapeau bas

Fanch

Thanks for your nice comments Fanch. Indeed Flight 66 is the only model shop I go to in Paris. I hardly ever get the time off to visit there but I made it last week and saw your fabulous F15J (not under glass but exposed to the elements - sacrilege). Eventually our paths will cross I'm sure.

Best, Jean

Jean I thought I have seen a lot in making models, but after your work I discovered that I know very little. That parts from brass, maybe they are real ones? B)

Thanks Red Baron.

I've been working on the control column. Because the articulated spade grip part, when viewed from the side, is not in line with the rest of the stick but is angled forward by roughly 8-10 degrees, something well beyond my skill to replicate in plastic, I resorted to - what else - brass. Here's the shape being milled...

post-917-1163918487.jpg

post-917-1163918522.jpg

Here's the finished part from below, showing where the cables connect. The spade grip itself is brass rod, annealed (heated to a cherry red and allowed to cool) and formed around a dowel with a hammer.

post-917-1163919042.jpg

The bottom part of the column is white plastic sheet appropriately shaped, with a keyhole opening that accomodates a length of plastic rod...

post-917-1163919240.jpg

The rod fits over a length of thin brass rod attached to a cross-member itself bolted to the rudder-pedal frame structure

post-917-1163919465.jpg

The result, with many details yet to be added (brake lever, camera gun button, etc). The hydraulic lines are 0.60mm copper rod, heated for bending, and the connectors are brass rod chucked in a Dremel and shaped with a file..

post-917-1163919760.jpg