JCote

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

Hi Brian, your comments are much appreciated. I'll be doing the cockpit fiddly bits in brass, in part because when you're not pleased with something, it's easier to undo when it's been soldered rather than glued. All the rest, apart from the undercarriage. will be in styrene.

Looking forward to see what you are going to do neext with that great lathe of yours. The brass detail is so neat and beautiful, it is going to be a real pity to hide all the craftsmanship under a coat of paint. This is going to be one very special spitfire.

Fantastic engineering there Jean, and your attention to detail (and perserverance) is an inspiration to us all. Your Spitfire shall look spectacular when completed. I can only echo the praises of other members on this site. Thanks for sharing your know-how.

Regards

Derek

I can't add anything to the above comments, just to shake my head, sorrowfully, as I think how I used to consider myself a modeller.

Edgar

Thanks for your kind words Derek, and speaking of Spits, when is your MkXVI thread going to resume? It was one of my favourites and I haven't seen any instalments since you completed the control stick

Cheers, Jean

Guest LSP_Jay L

Jean;

This really is a tutorial in trial and error, achieving ultimate success! I think Derek has hit the nail on the head, as this is all very it is very inspirational as well as educational, and I am really enjoying this. Thanks for finding us here at LSP mate, we are better off for having you!

Looking forward to see what you are going to do neext with that great lathe of yours. The brass detail is so neat and beautiful, it is going to be a real pity to hide all the craftsmanship under a coat of paint. This is going to be one very special spitfire.

I totally agree with Brian and couldn't have said it any better myself.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Hi Jean,

You are quite correct, I do need to re-commence work on my Mk.XVI Spitfire...other LSP members have said the same thing, so I shall. I have come back from a weeks holiday in Cyprus, and I have been very busy with Air Cadet and pattern making activities of late, hence no progress on the Spitfire...but that shall change!

Love the work you have done on yours Jean...it helps me a lot when trying to figure out how to make some of my own parts, so thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Derek

this is one of the projets that definitely tell me: "klaus you have to learn sooooo much yet. go on!"

thanks for sharing this modelling art with us.

cheers klaus

Edgar, Jay and Klaus, your encouragement means a lot to me. The reason this project is such a drawn-out affair is that when I started I didn't know beans, and what I've picked up since then has involved much time and trial and error. The feedback here on LSP (the only real modeling site as far as I'm concerned) is always a great help, as is following the work of the many great modelers who have made this place their home.

Cheers, Jean

Thanx Alan, yeah, lathes are great, and really versatile. Which one have you got ? (great barrels BTW)

This is a fantastic build if I have ever seen one. I am truly amazed and inspired by your use of brass. I can barely make nparts out of plastic at times, yet yours are jeweler quality. Please do continue. You are really making me want to build my Trumpeter kit!

WOW! what an inspirational project!

That first pic with the plastic and brass is phenominal. Greta work.

I would really like to hear more about the photo-etch kit. I am contimplating purchasing one.

Pete

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated... and unexpected, given that this thread was close to dropping off the radar screen.

Pete, I'm currently working on the undercarriage and throttle controls, which involve a number of home-made photoetch parts. I'll include some process shots in my next post, hopefully a couple of weeks from now.

Cheers, Jean