JCote

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

Here’s a sample of the casualties of that particular campaign: Some of these failures represented several hours work.

post-4-1148569507_thumb.jpg

Final operation, putting in the frets and attaching them. Oh no! grossly overscale and unsightly blobs of solder everywhere.

post-4-1148569566_thumb.jpg

After half-seriously toying with the idea of ditching the whole thing right there, I repeated the same procedure using 0.30mm drill and wire: Drill bits that size are fantastically fragile and I broke a quite few before getting the knack of using them. On the verge of success, I then realised that the chuck was a3 or 4 hundredths of a mm out of round. That hadn‘t been a problem with 0.50mm, but was with 0.30. Sigh!!! So I ordered an appropriately-sized collet for the rotary table (collets give more accuracy than chucks) . While waiting for the parcel, I started hunting for a solution for setting the frets. Gerald Wingrove’s site Wingrove Site Menu (REALLY worth a visit) came up with the goods: tin the wire, i.e. coat the wire with a thin layer of solder…

post-4-1148569626_thumb.jpg

… cut the frets. put them in place, brush on a bit of flux and heat with a butane torch. My self-confidence was so low by now that I was stoically waiting for another failure, but this time, it worked!

post-4-1148569692_thumb.jpg

Another view of the finished product. I’m not entirely satisfied, perhaps because 10x zoom is unforgiving, but it’s high time to move on, namely to the rudder wheel, throttle quadrant and undercarriage controls.. Apologies for the wordiness of this post,

Jean

post-4-1148569864_thumb.jpg

Thanks Matt and Jamie. By the way, Jamie, any update on your Griffon Spit would be appreciated.

To be honest it's on the back burner a bit while I crack on with the Corsair. As soon as I have some more I'll put up some pictures.

Sensational result Jean!

If you are going to continue with that sort of tenacity, you'll be rewarded with one very special model! Your use of the lathe has me thoroughly rivetted.

Loving this build, keep the outstanding work going mate!

Cheers

Ango.

Thanks Ango. Famous last words perhaps, but the resrt of the cockpit should be clearer sailing from here on in. I hope so, because my reserves of tenacity are dwindling FAST.

Cheers, Jean

That is really way out work Jean. Bloody serious stuff you are doing with the lathe. thanks for the step by step procedure. This is going to be one fantastic project. Do you intend working out all the detials in brass?