Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

JCote

Bravo Jean, bravo. B)

Great construction shots, and you won't regret putting the rivets on the stringers. Every little bit helps. From the first time I saw this thread I knew we were in for something special. Once again, I can only applaud in appreciation. :)

Thanks for your nice comments,

Ango: Yeah, it does drive one spare. The bottom part of the cowling with the red styrene in fact represents a second attempt. The first was just about finished, I was doing the final sanding on my seventh-floor balcony (to avoid getting polyurethane dust all over the apartment when before I knew it the bl***y thing was no longer in my hands but drifting downward to the ground. Oh well, I told myself, it's so light there won't be much damage, and just then it settled gracefully in the flower-box of a neighbour below who was away for the whole month. There are days, nay weeks like that....

Andy: the rivets are slightly overscale but it shouldn't be too noticeable, especially as there will be no shading or washes. Your beautiful pit confirmed for me that none is needed in 24th scale.

Cheers, Jean

Merci Manu, it's great that increasing numbers of French modelers are making ths - by far the best modeling site - their home. I've known for a long time about the top-notch talent in this country and now it's the others turn to get their socks knocked off.

Best, Jean

Jean

Looking really good.

This polyurethane foam you use, what is its consistency? How well does it sand? What purpose is it normally sold for? I'm intigued by this material and may want to have a go with it. Sorry for all the questions.

TIA

Matt

Hi Matt,

The foam I used was purchased at an arts supply shop. The consistency is similar to that of rigid insulating foam but more friable, which makes it easy to sand. This means in particular that you can sand it flush with ribs of just about any material without altering their profile. It can be cut with a knife and also with a hot-wire cutter but here a mask is a must because the fumes are probably not very good for you. I should point out that my foam cowling forms are not intended as structural elements, but rather to be used as masters for casting resin parts which will then be skinned. By the way, I read about this technique and many others on SF modeling sites such as culttvman and starship modeler: if you're willing to put up with their sometimes sniffy attitude toward plastic modelers (we are referred to as "kit assemblers"), you'll find a wealth of invaluable tips, including info on where to source the various products.

Hope that helps,

Jean

Jean, your work in progress is simply breathtaking....

hard to find the right words when looking a those beatifully engineered brass parts.

Your foam method is simply inspiring: I'm considering making a full scratch kit on a long term period and now, you've brought an answer to many problems I was thinking about.

I owe you a pint if we cross our way at Flight66 ( Olivier told me you come to this shop )

chapeau bas

Fanch

Thanks for your nice comments Fanch. Indeed Flight 66 is the only model shop I go to in Paris. I hardly ever get the time off to visit there but I made it last week and saw your fabulous F15J (not under glass but exposed to the elements - sacrilege). Eventually our paths will cross I'm sure.

Best, Jean

Thanks Red Baron.

I've been working on the control column. Because the articulated spade grip part, when viewed from the side, is not in line with the rest of the stick but is angled forward by roughly 8-10 degrees, something well beyond my skill to replicate in plastic, I resorted to - what else - brass. Here's the shape being milled...

post-917-1163918487.jpg

post-917-1163918522.jpg