Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

JCote

Jean! Hello mate! i can't believe what I have just seen.... absolutely amazing stuff, great machining skills mate! You are such a patient guy!! The Spit is really turning out beautifully.... keep up the great work!

Cheers

Alan :unsure:

Jean

between you and Radub l am going to quit and seek professional help . ;) :P :unsure: l love it when people like you show us what can be done. it inspires me to do better thanks :lol: B)

hacker :P :P

Jean I'll have to chime in also...this is incredible work you're doing on the Spit and with all the machine work you've done I'm a little out of breath.Impossible for a guy to not learn from this build.Magnificent work of art mate...cheers

Alan, hacker, Dave and Fanch, thanks for your great feedback. There have been lots of setbacks on this project (I don't post those!) and it's the encouragement of fellow LSPers that keeps the motivation up.

Jean

P.S. Alan, we're spending a couple of weeks in Kaernten this Summer (late July early August), about 40 kms from Klagenfurt. PM me! J

Jean, I'm stunned by your work!

I have decided I'm going to spend summer vacation at your place, and you will show me all your tricks and techniques. My mind is made up, and there's simply no choice in the matter. I will also require fine French cuisine, and a bottle or two of a nice wine! :unsure: :lol:

But seriously..... your approach to detailing and fabrication is wonderfully creative to say the least! I wish I had the time management skills, talent, and equipment to build like you do! Congratulations!

Thanks Astro. BTW I'm not sure two years for the progress so far qualifies as good time management :unsure: . As for the wine, all the dealers here tell me the really good stuff gets exported to the US, so maybe I should spend the Summer on your side of the pond :lol: .

• 2 months later...

Not a huge amount of progress to report - so what else is new - but I did want to post something before leaving tomorrow for the Summer holidays. No more modelling for me until September, though I will have access to a computer so I can follow all my favourite builds.

These are the main and blind flying panels, not yet completed but well under way. The dial bezels were turned from brass and milled out (next time I’ll use a miniature boring bar, I found a supplier, but too late for this time). The bezels were then soldered to a backing-plate (where they will be painted) which is then bolted to the panel. The panels were photo-etched from nickel silver, a material I’ve just discovered and shall be using liberally from now on. The dial faces were reproduced photographically from computer graphic artwork that took me absolute ages to do, and will be punched out using a purpose-built punch-and-die set (Waldron and Historex weren’t the right size). This was fabricated using acrylic and steel scrap and also turned into a never-ending chore.

I recently acquired a copy of Gerald Wingrove’s  The Complete Car Modeller which provided me which a lot of inspiration and tons of ideas.

Have a great Summer

Jean

post-917-1185483165.jpg

post-917-1185483188.jpg

post-917-1185483382.jpg

Jean, that is really superb work... I love it! Man, you are a patient guy!! I would love to see this build up close one day!! Give me a call when you are in town...K'furt- would be good to meet up!

Cheers

Alan

P.s PM sent!

Sigh. :o

Now what do I do....think I'll go back to shake and bake, or to paraphrase some comedian, 'I'll get me coat'. :)

What are we mere mortals supposed to do now Jean? I'll just grind away as best I can, but I don't think I'll ever get close to that good. :lol:

You mentioned photo etch. Do you use a ready to go kit? I've got my heart set on one for next year (I can't really lay out on one now, I've got away with buying a few hundred euros worth of new gear so far without too many eyebrows being raised by my dear missus), but I don't know which one to plump for.

Thanks for posting what is rapidly turning into a masterclass.