International World Pilots Day

As a percentage of the world's population, pilots are a rare breed.

Since so many of the WW2 generation have passed, they're a decreasing sliver of the USA, as well.

Doesn't augur well for GA, BTW, as we're a shrinking constituency, not to mention one that's viewed as being privileged.:piliot:

Edited by ivanmoe
mizpelt wurd

I think if you’ve soloed , you’re a pilot. If you took off, flew around, and landed without dying- then you’ve done something that most people haven’t.

My wife’s uncle Mike owned a Cherokee 140. He only ever had a Student pilots Certificate. He kept the aircraft on my wife’s family’s 1000+ acre ranch in Nebraska, and used the aircraft to check the wells on the ranch. He got to solo and quit taking lessons. Flew that damn airplane like that for years-

kinda surprised he didn’t kill himself.

cheers

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 4/27/2022 at 4:52 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Apparently today is world pilot day? So if you are a pilot, have a great day!

Click me

cheers

P

There’s no need to ask if anyones a pilot, they’ll tell you and show you their chunky chronograph wrist weight to prove it!

9 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I think if you’ve soloed , you’re a pilot. If you took off, flew around, and landed without dying- then you’ve done something that most people haven’t.

I agree, I am currently working on my private (all flight requirements and exams are done - just need my checkride to finish) and have always hesitated calling myself a pilot until one day my instructor told me "If you can preflight, take off, and land in one piece - you're a pilot".  Made sense to me.  Hoping to get my checkride in the next few weeks, terrified to do it but I won't stop this close to my goal!

9 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

I agree, I am currently working on my private (all flight requirements and exams are done - just need my checkride to finish) and have always hesitated calling myself a pilot until one day my instructor told me "If you can preflight, take off, and land in one piece - you're a pilot".  Made sense to me.  Hoping to get my checkride in the next few weeks, terrified to do it but I won't stop this close to my goal!

outstanding brother! Very psyched for you!

best of luck on your checkride! Remember the checkride rule of 3 “D’s”:

as long as you don’t do something “dumb”, “different “ or “dangerous “ you’ll be good!

let us know when you are done!

best

P

1 hour ago, Daywalker said:

Congrats!!!  Good luck!!

2 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

My wife’s uncle Mike owned a Cherokee 140. He only ever had a Student pilots Certificate. He kept the aircraft on my wife’s family’s 1000+ acre ranch in Nebraska, and used the aircraft to check the wells on the ranch. He got to solo and quit taking lessons. Flew that damn airplane like that for years-

kinda surprised he didn’t kill himself.

cheers

P

I soloed numerous times, was getting ready to do my solo cross country and tore my ligaments in my right ankle and I never pursued finishing up after that.

I've had 2 series of blood clots and now I'm on blood thinners so I'm grounded now!

Tim