IJN Yamato in 1/200 Scale (New Tool)

Uncarina

57 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

The Yamato bow as in hydro dynamic design?

Yup. Sorry about the spelling. Something about the bulbous bottom part of the bow creating a pressure wave in front of the main part of the bow and how this affected sea handling. Talked a bit about 'the Atlantic bow' as well.

Matty

On 7/20/2022 at 3:30 AM, LSP_Mike said:

I always thought Priz Eugen the best looking German ship.

Scharnhorst all the way :speak_cool: 

I keep looking at this kit and I REALLY want one. Maybe one day, when I have my a own warehouse in which to display it. I just have to stop watching YouTube videos about it. Its not helping my severe lack of self control 

On 4/26/2022 at 11:48 PM, Zola25 said:

Agreed - I think 1/200 is the right scale for this. I honestly never thought we would see a model of a japanese subject coming out of China. They still seem to have an awful lot of historic "bad blood" between them.

Now we just need a modern US Carrier in 1/200 ^_^ - I would clear shelfspace for that! (or buy a bigger house :rolleyes:)

The Ford would come in at about 1.65 m long, a fantastic size for an R/C project:D

On 7/23/2022 at 8:28 PM, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

The Ford would come in at about 1.65 m long, a fantastic size for an R/C project:D

There is only one modern carrier worth doing in 1/200 scale: USS Enterprise CVAN-65 and the USS Long Beach to go with her.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:08 AM, LSP_Mike said:

Does anyone else have a 1/200 IJN Mikasa with the thought of placing her next to Yamato or Musashi? The plumb bow ships have a certain style. Very attractive to my eye.

I've got the early version of Mikasa in 1:200 - great looking ship from a really interesting period. Long term plan is to convert her back to a Royal Navy Formidable class - in late Victorian colours...

As to wish-list - I'd settle for a '70s period HMS Ark Royal - with full air wing - in 1:200 - please!!  :)

Iain

At long last (six weeks), my kit arrived. Unfortunately I saw it as my family and I were pulling up to the garage: an enormous box covered with tape that said "Model". So no chance of hiding this one! Also unfortunate: the Amazon delivery person left it out in the heavy rain instead of walking it the few yards further to our covered front door, so the box is very wet.

Fortunately the contents weren't affected, even the instructions and decals which were inexplicably shipped outside of the kit box. In any case, I can share some pics that might be of interest. I focused on the Mikasa comparison with the Yamato and on surface features. Overall I am very impressed!

L7HP1w4.jpg

1y3RSep.jpg

7vactVQ.jpg

BDqhEMg.jpg

zUQ1TiF.jpg

E5SrMb6.jpg

anPssjw.jpg

8ynPkY7.jpg

SDMQEJc.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Wondering how long the aftermarket will take for this one. Trumpeter’s photoetch is not the best too soft and very thin. Hard to cut without bending or tearing. I base this one all their other 1/200 ships. 

Just saw Pontos upgrade set announced for the 1/200 Enterprise @ $560.00 US. $200.00 more than the actual kit. I can only wonder on cost for the Yamato upgrades. I will hope a wood deck comes out sooner than later. 

The 1/200 Scharnhorst has been out almost 2 years and so far nothing has been released. Not even a deck. 

Paul

For those interested in building this kit there is a dedicated Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/698412331462044

One of the members apparently is developing the Pontos aftermarket sets, and regularly posts. There's also a 96 page pdf available on the site that reviews the kit in detail.

Cheers,  Tom

For the record, I have *not* started construction, but I had to glue the two hull halves together (they come attached with metal reinforcements but you still have to cement them together). And I had to correct the bow hole. The kit has an oblong plate, so I drilled the hole, sanded the plate back, and added a thin slice of evergreen tube.

1vOoXVZ.jpg

F9sDEiC.jpg

Cheers,  Tom