IJN Yamato in 1/200 Scale (New Tool)

Uncarina

4 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Haha - I have said the exact same thing to myself - I haven´t bought the Yamato yet, but I am looking at far too many online unboxing videos for that not to happen in the near future :-)

LOL - I have to buy a new keyboard now coz I've drooled all over my old one and it doesn't work now after watching the same sort of videos :D

3 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I have the 1/200 CV-6 with the MK-1 design update set sitting on top a 

1/32 B-24D and a B-17F and a strafer B-25J....at 65 I'm gonna need a "life extension" LOL!!!

Cheers....Ron

The Enterprise? Nice. I have the 1:200 Hornet, but it'll probably be a while before I get to it.

My current thinking about my projected build (without actually having the kit) is to use the pre-existing deck since it will be painted black. If the actual ship was indeed camouflaged with suet from the funnel I can carefully apply a thin paint layer over the wood-painted deck then weather with pastels. I looked into getting the 24 single 25mm guns from either Veterans or Shapeways and it would be a minimum of $50. Alternatively, I can cannibalize some unused triple 25mm guns and scratchbuild them. Just thinking out loud!

Cheers,  Tom

According to the Anatomy of the Ship second release, the deck and probably the first main turret of the HIJMS Yamato was camouflaged in this color in late 1944 for a planned night-time attack. As always, interpreting color from an indistinct wartime black and white photo can be subjective, so your mileage (kilometerage) may vary:

EUOmDAU.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

I have the book as well but haven´t yet have time to study it in detail. Judging from the photograph it certainly seems to have been done in haste as explained in the book. It looks hard to recreate - I think I will model mine (if... scratch that.. WHEN I buy it) as it looked the night before ;)

Regards

Niels

On 7/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, Uncarina said:

We’ll see! Some kits are a drop everything else once you open the box kind of project, but I really want to finish my Lancaster and the U-Boat first. When I work on this behemoth however, you’ll see it here!

Cheers,  Tom

I used to think that too, but I've now experienced several "clear the bench" kits, only to clear the bench again for something even newer, then again for something even newer still.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I used to think that too, but I've now experienced several "clear the bench" kits, only to clear the bench again for something even newer, then again for something even newer still.

I get that--it is a slippery slope for sure. If only it could be a "clear the bench kit" that can be completed in an afternoon!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, LSP_Mike said:

Does anyone else have a 1/200 IJN Mikasa with the thought of placing her next to Yamato or Musashi? The plumb bow ships have a certain style. Very attractive to my eye.

I love the shape of the German battleships. They just look so slick.

But those pagoda structures on IJN battleships look so crazy good.

Matty

9 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

I always thought Priz Eugen the best looking German ship.

I was just watching a doco on the YouTube channel from Drachinifel...v detailed analyses on ship hull designs. Mentioned the Yamamoto bow.