IJN Yamato in 1/200 Scale (New Tool)

Uncarina

On 6/19/2022 at 5:03 PM, LSP_Mike said:

No. The Fletcher DD is a large kit in 1/44 and it is a small ship. A DE might be interesting in 1/144 with a good mix of detail to size.

A 1/144 BB is museum scale to me. Be cool to see for sure, but huge. I would like to see a good 1/200 USS Oregon and Cruiser Olympia.

I have the Revell Fletcher, and it's gorgeous. I missed out on the Platinum edition though (same with the Platinum Gato), both of which seem to be commanding crazy high prices now.

20 hours ago, Splatman812 said:

Anybody interested, this is the best price I've found. Great vendor too. Mine's arriving Monday!

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Ship_Models/ijn-battleship-yamato/GLM00064010/product.php?kw=yamato

Scale Hobbyist is one of my first "go-to" places, as their prices are frequently better that anyone else.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:12 AM, Zola25 said:

I can recommend this book

512eeAPYcQL._SY478_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just received my copy yesterday. 344 pages of absolute detail. I didn’t expect to see the color perspective illustrations but they are really good. I hadn’t realized that the Yamato’s decks and front turret/guns were painted black in late 1944, but the info and combat photos are in there. I highly recommend this book, and it is definitely better than the first publication.

Cheers,  Tom

Looking at the kit instructions, you have to drill holes in the deck to add the smaller caliper armament. That actually makes it easier to to backdate, but in my case I’ll have to come up with at least 15 additional single 25mm guns for the 1944 configuration, since the kit only provides 10. Shapeways has them. I wonder if there are other sources?

Cheers,  Tom

12 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Yeah no worries bud. I'd love to get this kit but I just have no room for it. Its a good price considering how much of a monster it would be. I really hope you do a WIP for it (hint hint)

We’ll see! Some kits are a drop everything else once you open the box kind of project, but I really want to finish my Lancaster and the U-Boat first. When I work on this behemoth however, you’ll see it here!

Cheers,  Tom

5 hours ago, Phill P said:

After purchasing the Border Lanc, I said to myself....self, that's it for a while! Well today self decided to go online and throw some cash at a big xxxx boat!

Haha - I have said the exact same thing to myself - I haven´t bought the Yamato yet, but I am looking at far too many online unboxing videos for that not to happen in the near future :-)