IJN Yamato in 1/200 Scale (New Tool)

Uncarina

I have the 3D book, which also includes a nice set of 2D detail drawings in a foldout. I also have the original Anatomy of the Ship for the Yamato and ordered the second release. Any idea how they compare? The first release includes a series of 1/200 drawings interspersed through the book.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I have the 3D book, which also includes a nice set of 2D detail drawings in a foldout. I also have the original Anatomy of the Ship for the Yamato and ordered the second release. Any idea how they compare? The first release includes a series of 1/200 drawings interspersed through the book.

Cheers,  Tom

I don´t have the 1st edition but this one also have plenty of 1/200 scale drawings - I was hoping to get a clear picture of the rigging (in case I buy the kit ;)) and it seems to do the trick. 

/Niels

On 6/19/2022 at 12:50 AM, Uncarina said:

Just ordered mine from Amazon Smile for $499 plus $30 shipping. I built the old tool Tamiya kit years ago, backdated it to the Leyte Gulf configuration. It turned out great but excess summer heat shrunk the monofilament rigging to the point I’ll have to cut it out. I’ll know better this time!

BTW, if anyone is interested I have a new in the box 1/16 Das Werk Panzer I’ll sell at a good price. Have to make room somehow!

Cheers,  Tom

we expect to see the build thread once it arrives! I'd love to get one of these but I have no room at all for such a monstrous kit, so I'd be more than happy to watch you build one instead :)

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I have no room either, but ordered it anyway! Was that wrong?:m0152:

Cheers,  Tom

P.S. I’m going to start asking Japanese restaurants around here if they need a display model.

“Hey, guys! You know that ship you built that we sank? I made a new one for you! Pretty cool, huh? Whaddaya think, guys? Guys? Why are you looking at me like that?”

As requested by several of you in this string, here are a few more photos of my current "work-in-progress". It is the old mold of the 1/350 Tamiya IJN Yamato. 

This is the main detail set I used to update her. It has 13 sheets of PE, and turned barrel sets for the three larger gun systems. In addition, it includes four brass screws and anchor chain as well.

FiJ8fncl.jpg

NHG2mKel.jpg

Here is the paint I'm using to finish the build. I believe the Antifouling Red is a little too bright, but thats just my take.

JcJcEapl.jpg

I've replaced all the smaller guns with after market items. One thing of note was the lack of ammo containers/lockers almost anywhere on the ship. Oh, and the paravanes were not in the kit either. Those were also updated with mail order items as well as a veneer wood deck. 

Some of the many modifications:

C4I2QdFl.jpg

Ym3PBW4l.jpg

MaXfTPYl.jpg

I will wait for the full color (painted) photos once I have her rigged, the small aircraft added, and properly weathered. Then I will post a full reveal in the appropriate section of the forum with all the AM items, modifications, etc. 

Ben / DRUMS01

It's an impressive kit.  The packaging is similar to all of the Trumpeter 1/200 ships, with individual boxes for the various sprues.  Hull has several metal supports, which is unlike any of the other 1/200 kits at least the ones I have purchased.  Hull is not one piece, but two halves.  

The photo etch appears to be the same type as other Trumpeter/Merit kits, in that it's a bit soft and tends to bend easily.  

As the price of this kit is in the US dollar range of 575.00 to 663.00, I wonder where the after market sets will price in (if any will be made at all).  The 1/200 Scharnhorst as has been out now almost 2 years and no after market has been released.  Not to mention what the cost will be.  The new releases in 1/350 from Pontos are both in the $250.00 range.  

For this kit, I am hoping a wooden deck will be released in the future along with a set of metal barrels.  Hopefully Veterans models will create some new sets and or release some of their existing 1/200 JN sets. 

Paul