I guess, to keep it all in perspective, you can look at it this way:

- 1/200 (eBay), Nichimo, (old production) $899.00

- 1/200 Mega Hobby, Galery Models, (pre-order) $699.99

- 1/200 Hobby Search, Mono Chrome, (same kit) $392.40

- 1/350 Tamiya, (new tool with full detail deck, brass, & PE) $350.00 +/-

- 1/350 Tamiya, (new tool factory), $210 +/-

- 1/350 Tamiya (old tool with detail sets), $225 +/-

- 1/350 Tamiya, (old tool), $75 - $125.00

As many of you said, it's all about budget and space. When reading the comments, the 1/200 modern carrier sounds interesting. That is if you have a large enough ward room to display it or a very understanding significant other. For me, I am just completing a highly modified 1/350 Tamiya IJN Yamato in another forum. I found that even in 1/350, the task of manipulating the model around the hobby table becomes daunting. The more details are added, the easier it is to disturb something. 1/200 would be a challenge pushing 5 feet, WOW!

qKbPFWUm.jpg

I found a 1/250 Musashi with the GMM PE. Traded a Tamiya Corsair for it.

1/350 is a nice size and I have a few, but there are some real nice 1/200 subjects.

Modelshows may surprise you with the willingness of some sellers to wheel and deal

16 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

At 1/200, it seems to me they could have done this in 1/144.  Anyway.

Sincerely,

Mark

Roughly 52" long in 1:200 scale, so plenty large enough for me.

7 hours ago, DRUMS01 said:

As many of you said, it's all about budget and space. When reading the comments, the 1/200 modern carrier sounds interesting. That is if you have a large enough ward room to display it or a very understanding significant other. For me, I am just completing a highly modified 1/350 Tamiya IJN Yamato in another forum. I found that even in 1/350, the task of manipulating the model around the hobby table becomes daunting. The more details are added, the easier it is to disturb something. 1/200 would be a challenge pushing 5 feet, WOW!

qKbPFWUm.jpg

Great post, and welcome to the forums! I’d love to see more of your build.

Cheers,  Tom

7 hours ago, DRUMS01 said:

qKbPFWUm.jpg

I think it would command a work bench in the centre of a hobby room where you walk around the model to work on it.  I can’t see it working out with a conventional desk type work bench against a wall.

Too big for me.  I had a tough time with my Tamiya too,  one as you note. 

Cheers 

I've built the Nichimo kit with a stack of scratch building and some aftermarket (main turrets, normal ship PE enhancements - ladders, railings, crane, radar, masts, etc) and wooden deck). Started it about 6 years ago and it's 95% finished - I get bored and need to leave it for long periods and it's not a 1/32 plane so I really get bored !  Overall it's a fantastic model and certainly an eye catcher. It's all that PE that I struggle with. A new tool Yamato I guess would require less scratch building and aftermarket however considering the Nichimo is more of a toy than a scale model it's certainly a great starting point if you are happy to use your modelling skills. I picked mine up about 6 years ago for around £100.