How much would you sell your built kits for?

dmthamade

Brother is getting his house ready to sell, Painter saw my builds and told my brother he would buy them for his dad. I'm just an average-ish builder, nothing super detailed, mostly close to OOB, flaws etc. I have no idea how much to price these out at. Truthfully i was just going to trash them, maybe i'll just give them to him.

Don

I am the same standard as you (or lower). If I was looking to dispose of my built kits, I would give them away. For sure, when I move out of Singapore, they will either be given away or binned.

However, is there one kit that you have always wanted but thought it was too pricey to buy? Perhaps you could suggest the cost of that kit as the price for the built kits.

It's a tough one, I guess it boils down to how comfortable you feel in charging for them.

Have to say, my first instinct to just give them to him. I mean, if i was going to trash them anyways, they really don't mean enough to me. If someone else would enjoy them, they could have them....thinking about it now, i realize the building process means a lot more to me than the finished build....thinking even further, this is the same reason i won't own a hot rod/street machine/performance car. The fun is in the build for me, i get enough of that pleasure at work, so i'm good for that as well.

Don

What a sad conversation, as it reminds me of when I moved a few years back. I gave some away, sold some (for pennies on the dollar, many of which had received various awards), and trashed the rest. I did manage to save a few, models that hold a very special significance for me, but all the rest are now long gone.

I like all of the thoughts I've read here so far, and agree with most.

The only thing I would add to the other very good comments is that we all enjoy building the models and having that experience. After the completions maybe we just store them away after displaying them for a while before moving on to the next one anyway. Some people advertise them on e-bay. I guess you make the call and move on if you do give them away. Get some good pictures first though! ;)

I sold a few (1/48ish) through FB marketplace when I was moving. Nothing crazy, I think they were like $10-15 each or something. A guy came back a few times and pretty much grabbed everything. They were definitely ones I didn't care too much about so I just put them up to see if there were any takers. Maybe I just got lucky? 

Having said that, if there was someone that I thought would be a deserving recipient, then I'd be happy to donate to the cause (except my B-17 of course ;) )

Craig

12 hours ago, Royboy said:

The only thing I would add to the other very good comments is that we all enjoy building the models and having that experience. After the completions maybe we just store them away after displaying them for a while before moving on to the next one anyway. Some people advertise them on e-bay. I guess you make the call and move on if you do give them away. Get some good pictures first though! ;)

Yep, definitely photograph them. I have photos of almost all of my long gone stuff.