Academy F/A 18C Chippy Ho- Finished

chrish

8 hours ago, Collin said:

The Super Chicken is what we called her. I was in that Airwing when she was painted up like that on USS Independence. Only saw her carry GBU-12’s or FMU-140 fuzed ROCKEYE while we were in the Gulf. One day I had to give her gas and she joined up on our wing with a baseline SLAM CATM (and AWW pod). A few times I saw her with a AGM-65F CATM as well out doing training. JDAM weren’t in service yet in the mid-90’s. 
Great looking build, Looks like you have the right amount of wear on her. They tried keeping her paint in good shape, but no finish lasts very long while underway and she had paint wear and tear like the rest of us. 

Cheers

Collin

Thanks for that, I was going to go with the “Snakeye” bombs but GBU 12’s would give it a nice “heavy” look.

I’ve got surplus weapons sets from 3 of these kits having built the others clean so, lots of stuff to choose from but a small window historically for options.

appreciate the information you’ve given!

So...while looking at images of Hornets I came across a video of a Blue Angels Hornet doing pre-flight controls checks, found more of these (once I figured out what to look for along with a funny video of launches with the Gangnam Style music and dancing flight deck personnel) I decided my bug needed to be configured doing control surfaces pre-flight checks, so a couple of items are at full deflection and others in a position they'ed probably never see in flight. The tail hook will be down, the speed brake open and canopy 1/2 shut. Not going for accuracy but for an interesting/ different display. I had to use parts from 3 kits to get enough hands and arms onto the ground crews (later on them) to be doing their indications that the controls are doing what the're supposed to be doing (thumbs up's) 

Enough of that, here's where this dirty bird sits tonight;

The load

7bALH7b.jpg?1

PgCASBl.jpg

Where I got to as of quitting time tonight;

L8ebecO.jpg

AQiKPeY.jpg

I used the 20 degree flap setting on one side and the 30 degree on the other

FhL5k1S.jpg

Thanks for looking

Calling the F/A 18 "Chippy Ho" finished, I hope Uncle Rick would have approved. This is the most heavily weathered finish I've ever attempted. I will put this in a show (if and when one happens) but not to contest. It will at some point gain a display base of a carrier deck.

I've built up and basically finished the figures to go on that display as well.

ZAHNlBH.jpg

WcexMhr.jpg

cqkime9.jpg

qVRWVgh.jpg

And the figures, confirming control movement.

8mvO27v.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

• chrish changed the title to Academy F/A 18C Chippy Ho- Finished