Academy F/A 18C Chippy Ho- Finished

chrish

Great progress, i just went trough installing resin intakes on my build, you did a great job, mine didn't go so well!!! 

It quite stunning the amount of filler this kit needs! 

15 hours ago, Crew Dog said:

Just wait till you get to the LERX's, I had to putty nearly every joint for mine. Also, don't forget about the standoffs that go between the intake plates and the fuselage (I'm assuming you still have them off for ease of painting.) Detail in the gear bays looks awesome!

To be honest, I completely forgot them on the last one I built, I had planned on installing them before fitting the front fuse. Half but got ahead of myself again. I’ll try not to forget, thanks for the reminder!

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Great progress, i just went trough installing resin intakes on my build, you did a great job, mine didn't go so well!!! 

It quite stunning the amount of filler this kit needs! 

Thanks, I learned from the last time I used them on my CF188 60 years of NATO build (which I forgot to install the standoffs between the fuselage and splitters (see comment above) I trimmed/shaved/thinned the inside of the landing gear bay as well as the resin intake so it would be moveable inside the fuselage then, glued small areas at a time between the fuselage and intake lip forcing it into shape as I went. I’d really like to use the plastic intakes but just couldn’t talk myself into it. These were Dmold intakes, I may try GT resin ones for a change on the next build (still 2 of these kits in the stash) or just suck it up and glue in the plastic ones

greetings once again

A bit more progress; removed the molded in vents and added some screens

xmg9CLw.jpg?1

A home made mix of Tamiya grays for light ghost gray

Bs81E0C.jpg

0Lfz8XU.jpg

Another home made mix of Tamiya acrylics for dark ghost gray....forget the new release Tamiya 1/32 kit...how about some modern air force colors! 

JtBuCYr.jpg

YshHrz6.jpg

Thanks for looking

moving along...the decals, the Chippy Ho markings are...nasty. could just be my luck with decals though.

In any case, a bit of progress. I decided to build up and paint some weapons while the the decal solution (4 different ones tried) dried, not sure which weapons I'll use yet but built up more than I need.

PoIYPzv.jpg

62O31YF.jpg?1

G6QR6k6.jpg

Thanks for looking

The Super Chicken is what we called her. I was in that Airwing when she was painted up like that on USS Independence. Only saw her carry GBU-12’s or FMU-140 fuzed ROCKEYE while we were in the Gulf. One day I had to give her gas and she joined up on our wing with a baseline SLAM CATM (and AWW pod). A few times I saw her with a AGM-65F CATM as well out doing training. JDAM weren’t in service yet in the mid-90’s. 
Great looking build, Looks like you have the right amount of wear on her. They tried keeping her paint in good shape, but no finish lasts very long while underway and she had paint wear and tear like the rest of us. 

Cheers

Collin