Clean up from using lacquer paint?

denders

I’m assuming you mean the lacquer thinner; the paint I just dump in the waste basket with absorbent paper towels.  The thinner I keep in an old smuckers glass jar (with the lid) and dump the excess in there. I then use it for cleaning brushes, etc. I also made sure the jar is clearly labeled LACQUER THINNER.

Edited by Juggernut

Yes. Everyone mentions how wonderful it is to airbrush, etc. I'm mulling over the options to try it at least once. I already have some hardware store lacquer thinner to have in case I need to clean up something wicked. The only concern is to dispose of it and whether I can manage to not have the smell throughout the house (the other half won't like that.) I use a spare bedroom and the paint booth exhausts outside (window) and I already have a respirator to use while painting.

Btw, I've been wanting to ask, where in PA. We moved from the Allentown area in '19.

I have two small jars with generic lacquer thinner for clean up.

Jar #1 is what I use for cleaning tools as well as running a cup through my airbrush first. When there's a lot of sediment in the bottom of the jar I pour out the "clean" thinner into a holding jar, wipe out the sediment from Jar#1 and then put the "clean" thinner from the holding jar back in Jar #1

Jar #2 only has pristine thinner in it and I only use this for the final clean up of my airbrush. When Jar #1 gets low I refill it from Jar #2 and then top off Jar#2 with clean thinner.

I put wet paper towels in the back of the spray booth and the thinner evaporates and the fumes get blown outside by the time I'm ready to shut down for the day.

OR

I put wet wet paper towels in a small waste basket with a lid lined with a plastic shopping bag.

GUEST_73da24cb-ff6f-4c6a-83a9-5f8b6f50a4

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

15 hours ago, denders said:

Yes. Everyone mentions how wonderful it is to airbrush, etc. I'm mulling over the options to try it at least once. I already have some hardware store lacquer thinner to have in case I need to clean up something wicked. The only concern is to dispose of it and whether I can manage to not have the smell throughout the house (the other half won't like that.) I use a spare bedroom and the paint booth exhausts outside (window) and I already have a respirator to use while painting.

Btw, I've been wanting to ask, where in PA. We moved from the Allentown area in '19.

I live just south of Harrisburg in a little place called Newberry township.  We too relocated here in 2015 from Upstate NY.

Edited by Juggernut

Okay, I'm familiar with that area a little. Grew up in Lancaster County between Columbia and Mountville. When I was a kid we would go to Gifford Pinchot State Park. And the way to PSU from where we lived was up I83.

Grandchildren are here (TN) that's why we moved.