Questions about Italeri/Kinetic 1/32 Sabre

SeaVenom

I'm building the Italeri/Kinetic 1/32 F86F Sabre and I'm just checking the interior/cockpit colours etc are correct.   The instructions say an overall dark gull grey for most of the cockpit and black for the instrument panels plus a red headrest for the seat with field green and red cushions.   It also says the interior of the rear fuselage should be a green zinc chromate.   The interior of the cockpit looks more of a lighter grey/gray to me on references I've seen like this .......

Also the way the fuselage is split in this kit with the rear on a trolley to show off the engine.  Is that realistic or just a gimmick?   I can't find any photo's like that. 

3 hours ago, SeaVenom said:
Also the way the fuselage is split in this kit with the rear on a trolley to show off the engine.  Is that realistic or just a gimmick?   I can't find any photo's like that. 

It was common to all jet fighters up to the end of the 50ties,mainly because of the centrifugal

compressors of the first engines,although some axial flow ones also had this feature,like the

Skyhawk,F-100

F86_M_HR_01.jpg

1ccc3c0bf329335de637f4b9e1ebd48c.jpg

https://secure.boeingimages.com/archive/F-86-Sabre-Jet-Engine-Removal-2F3XC5N138V.html

Edited by iaf-man

11 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

So cockpit should be fully black.

I found this pic while doing a little research on this exact topic. It looks to me like the ejection seat, canopy support crossmember and rear wall of the canopy are gray.

Just my 2 cents...

John Glenn's mount Suwon 1953MxXTrl.jpg

I wrote the cockpit (tub, side consoles and front IP), not the seat or the canopy. Actually all marks of F-86 were delivered with black cockpits (including the seat) up to the F-86F BuAe 52-4500 for Inglewood production and BuAe 51-13400 for Columbus production. As the change to grey cockpits in North American Aircraft production seems to have been made in production around the end of 1952/beginning of 1953, this explains why Sabres used in Korea normally had black pits even if you can possibly find some of them with some grey components and this was the exception rather than the rule. "Mig Mad Marine" (52-4584) was precisely an exception as it was built in Inglewood right after that production change and was used in Korea. "Miss Tena" was similar as it belonged to the same batch (some grey components). However, wartime pictures of "the Huff" (that belonged to an earlier batch) clearly showed a black seat.

2 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I wrote the cockpit (tub, side consoles and front IP), not the seat or the canopy. Actually all marks of F-86 were delivered with black cockpits (including the seat) up to the F-86F BuAe 52-4500 for Inglewood production and BuAe 51-13400 for Columbus production. As the change to grey cockpits in North American Aircraft production seems to have been made in production around the end of 1952/beginning of 1953, this explains why Sabres used in Korea normally had black pits even if you can possibly find some of them with some grey components and this was the exception rather than the rule. "Mig Mad Marine" (52-4584) was precisely an exception as it was built in Inglewood right after that production change and was used in Korea. "Miss Tena" was similar as it belonged to the same batch (some grey components). However, wartime pictures of "the Huff" (that belonged to an earlier batch) clearly showed a black seat.

So, as with much in modeling, it will highly depend upon which particular aircraft you want to represent. Thanks for the explanation, Thierry. 

12 hours ago, iaf-man said:

It was common to all jet fighters up to the end of the 50ties,mainly because of the centrifugal

compressors of the first engines,although some axial flow ones also had this feature,like the

Skyhawk,F-100

F86_M_HR_01.jpg

1ccc3c0bf329335de637f4b9e1ebd48c.jpg

https://secure.boeingimages.com/archive/F-86-Sabre-Jet-Engine-Removal-2F3XC5N138V.html

Thanks for those and great pics.   I found pictures of other jets but for some reason I couldn't find ones of the Sabre.

11 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Cheers for that.   So what would you say were the grey components in Miss Tena?   I take it the cockpit floor on the Huff would be black also?