Revell 1/144 An 225

chrish

A great kit I've been wanting to try since 2019 when I first saw it in the hobby shop window. (during lock-down so I couldn't actually go inside and fondle the kit.) Fast forward to a month ago when the real one was destroyed I hit the "buy it now" button on my interac card and grabbed it...shortly before (I'm told) it turned out 4-5 other people came in to the hobby shop to purchase the kit. Such is the way of modellers I guess.

I had a great time with the kit, very good fit, harder plastic than I'm used to seeing in a Revell kit, good clear instructions (other than the exclusive Revell paint codes) and for me, a really good experience with the decals which, I almost always ruin. Revell includes spares for the engines and nose marked "spare" which is also a thoughtful touch.

In any case, here's what I ended up with;

vWk1Nec.jpg

R1iJKKs.jpg

S6e7QOh.jpg

CyRO6yW.jpg

CpRKYTT.jpg

JgxSyFb.jpg

Thanks for looking

That looks awesome, Chris! I did the same as you, and purchased one after the news of the destruction of the real one. Unlike you, however, I'm yet to start mine. I hope it turns out as nicely as yours, though!

Kev

Beautiful work!  That’s a chunky model even in 1:144.  It’s a damn shame about the real one.  Unlikely that Antonov will ever get the funding to repair or replace it.

Nice build of an iconic aircraft! I always thought about buying this kit but like a lot of others, just didn't.

I see Revell re-released this in a wheels up in-flight, no internal details version for a little bit cheaper. Its only available in the original markings version, not the one you've depicted (the far better option IMO)

Thanks for the encouragement!

The model is...big! I sat it down beside a 747 in the same scale, it's bigger.

The paint scheme is one of the reasons to build the kit I think.

It's an eye catcher. At least for me it was. Revell offer an early and late paint scheme for this livery.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:48 AM, jeroen_R90S said:

Beautiful -white being white you made that look really good!

I can't take all the credit...I'll happily take it but, Revell did a very smart thing and molded the kit in white. That and Tamiya white putty and there was very little to do but try to make sure I didn't bugger up the gloss white finish, Tamiya and Mr Color gloss white lacquers doing the heavy lifting there.