1:32nd scale RAF BE2c

On 6/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, scvrobeson said:

I've been comparing the two models with the Windsock books, and I think I've gotten to the bottom of why you've needed to make so many changes on the C kit.  It's looking like Lukgraph originally modeled everything as an be2.e/f, then did the equal span wings for the C. Which is why the fuselage needs the windows cut into it, and the tweaks needed with surface details and extra rigging lines.

Keep up the fantastic work on this one. Be interested to see what comes next.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yeah, quite possibly.

But even if that was the case, there are still changes needed, such as the angle of the decking panel at the rear of the pilots cockpit.

On the BE2c and it looks the BE2e/f the angle is non-existent and needs to be angled to blend with the rear of the fuselage,

Mike

Hi all,
A couple more updates.
The photo-etch camera mounting, which represents the CFS Mk.II/C mounting.
Also the three fuselage windows are done.
The photo-etch frames for the two square side windows were secured in position over the created openings, using thin CA adhesive.
I then infilled the frames with 'Microscale' Krystal Kleer, which once cured leaves a transparent film.
The opening in the larger rectangular window is too large to apply Krystal Kleer straight off.
Therefore I cut a very thin strip from the supplied windscreen acetate sheet.
The strip was just long enough to span across the centre, underside of the photo-etch frame.
This effectively creates two smaller openings for applying the Krystal Kleer.
The frame was then added to the fuselage in the same manner used for the side windows,

Mike

CFSMk4done.jpg

windows5.jpg

Hi all,
The pre-rigging is done.
The aileron, rudder and elevator control rigging will be fitted after the wings have been fitted and final rigged.
That way the exposed control lines have less chance of being damaged during handling.
Also the landing gear and rigging will be fitted later,

Mike  

prerig1.jpg

prerig2.jpg

15 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I really need to try out pre-rigging on my biplanes.  Probably erases a bunch of headaches as you add the upper wing.

Matt 

Hi Matt,

I think it's the best way as trying to fully rig a built aircraft can be really tricky.

Especially when working between already rigged wings, struts and booms etc,

Mike 

Hi all,
Tricky to fit but now the pre-rigged upper wing has been fitted.
I've kept the temporary elastic bands over the wings.
This is to keep them the wings restrained until the rigging is done.
The solid lower wings can flex slightly on their locating rods, which can cause the strut joints to separate.

Now onto the final rigging,

Mike

wingon.jpg

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks great Mike!  Any issues to report with alignment of the struts and wings? Are the locations pretty solid on the kit?

Matt 

Hi Matt,

Alignment of twelve struts, which need to secured using CA adhesive without contaminating the pre-rigging is, to say the least, tricky.

Also use metal anchor points as I tried a few resin anchor points from 'GasPatch' and they are way too weak.

Several broke with only slight tension on the rigging, so they were replaced, with difficulty, using metal ones.

Test fitting of all of the struts with the wings fitted is vital to ensure good and full contact.

The end rods of the struts need to be shortened and bent to the correct strut angle.

Finally, even though the internal rods run through the struts, the struts will bend if too much pressure is applied to their ends.

These are reasons why I use mono-filament as opposed to flat aero wire rigging, which is more correct.

That's OK for smaller aircraft, but I think could be problematic for larger aircraft, although some modelers have managed it well, 

Apart from that, no problems :wacko:

Mike 

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The wings are now fully rigged.
This includes twin flying wires, single landing wires, incidence wires, wing brace wires, drag wires and cabane strut cross and fuselage bracing wing wires.
I've yet to airbrush the rigging to knock back the shine..
Next up is fitting and rigging the landing gear so as to lift the wings and prevent contact damage to the aileron controls (when fitted).
Then it'll be ailerons, rudder, elevator and their control line rigging.

Mike

wingrig1.jpg

wingrig2.jpg

wingrig3.jpg

wingrig4.jpg