Selfridge P-26s

Looks like the 17th Fighter Squadron (pursuit) with the Owl insignia?

they later became the Hooters at Shaw AFB flying the F-16 block 25 in Desert Storm.

My old squadron flew them as well- the 19th; which also later flew F-16’s at Shaw. I believe Claire Chennault was the 19th Squadron Commander for a time in the P-26.

Cheers

P

Those fuselages are Army Quartermaster Olive Drab or Light Blue.  The film has color shifted and is has affected the blues quite a bit. The original Light Blue did have a significant green component, however.  Here is a shot of a Light Blue P-30 and and Olive Drab P-26 from the same film.  There is still a lot of color shift but the Light Blue is a more evident...

52014577570_a8d0c0f460_c.jpg

Morning all!

What we're seeing is a rare color image of the second version of Light Blue 23.  The original color was on the paper Quartermaster Corps color card and was much lighter and greener - more of a turquoise.  In 1934 the Air Corps created a set of metal color plates with this stronger blue, but used the same name and number in correspondence, causing a few years of confusion.  It's really a great shot!

Cheers,

Dana

RBrown, thanks for the great find. I’d been considering a subject for my Hasegawa kit, with a Guatemalan P-26 in the lead, but I lived near Selfridge when I was a kid, and their Peashooters look great, too. It’s always great to see previously unseen color photos, but films are a real treat. 

Adam