Why no 1/32 Hawker Seahawk?!?

thierry laurent

The tiny Airfix Seahawk was the first ever kit I had. About 1s/10d in the NAAFI at Acklington back in 1964 or so. The other at that time was the Hunting Jet Provost T.3.

I was waiting for Iconicair to tackle the Seahawk but those beautiful creations aren't available at pocket money prices like smaller Revell kits.

1950s-1960s jets still are woefully underepresented in 1/32: Seahawk, Mystère, Super Mystère, Thunderstreak, Thunderflash, Draken, Lansen, Scimitar, Gnat, Jet Provost etc. 

Maybe Fly and Infinity will do some of them in a few years' time?  The Tunnan and Vampire are coming out around now, and there's at least one Draken in the works, so it's looking rosier. 

Just a pity Kittyhawk folded before the RF/F-84Fs ever came to fruition, and the F.11F Tiger stalled. 

And I also hope Revell eventually do a twin-seat Hunter T.7, for which the tooling was allegedly cut, and Infinity a Vampire T.11. 

Tony

The Airfix Seahawk was also one of my very first kits!

Except most of the US and Soviet ones, it is true cold war planes are not that common in 'our' scale. What is puzzling me is the absolute lack of kit in any medium except paper. There is a Geli 1/33 kit but I'm not that fond of paper models... I'm very surprised we do not even have a bad vacform kit!

One could add so many other kits to wishlists but then there is the business side. No one would invest hundreds of thousands in the injection moulds of subjects such as Seahawk, Lansen, Scimitar and so on. They would not sell more than maybe a few thousands in plastic and this is even nowhere close for a manufacturer to get their investment money back. Contrary to what one might think, short run moulds for such subjects are even more risky because of the size of the companies using such tooling.

I would very much like to have and build a Seahawk in our scale but I do not see it in the near future honestly.

40 minutes ago, frank83 said:

One could add so many other kits to wishlists but then there is the business side. No one would invest hundreds of thousands in the injection moulds of subjects such as Seahawk, Lansen, Scimitar and so on. They would not sell more than maybe a few thousands in plastic and this is even nowhere close for a manufacturer to get their investment money back. Contrary to what one might think, short run moulds for such subjects are even more risky because of the size of the companies using such tooling.

I would very much like to have and build a Seahawk in our scale but I do not see it in the near future honestly.

Not so obvious! If that was an hard rule, why are we getting J-29 models or an Attacker kit? And Daco is finalizing a plastic Fouga Magister. As I mentioned the Magister, there is another kit: the Miles Magister. It was released not so far ago and is everything but not a mainstream topic!

I fully agree that some cold war topics would be quite expensive to release in 1/32 with planes such as the Vigilante, F-111 or MiG-25 jumping immediately to my mind. However, this is not the case of a small and simple airframe like the Seahawk that is even simpler and not larger than the recent Westland Whirlwind released by Special Hobby.

28 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Not so obvious! If that was an hard rule, why are we getting J-29 models or an Attacker kit? And Daco is finalizing a plastic Fouga Magister. As I mentioned the Magister, there is another kit: the Miles Magister. It was released not so far ago and is everything but not a mainstream topic!

I fully agree that some cold war topics would be quite expensive to release in 1/32 with planes such as the Vigilante, F-111 or MiG-25 jumping immediately to my mind. However, this is not the case of a small and simple airframe like the Seahawk that is even simpler and not larger than the recent Westland Whirlwind released by Special Hobby.

I see the point and agree to an extent. We can have a Seahawk too if we have a J-29, logically. Let's hope it is sooner.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, mozart said:

It’s a very good question Thierry for which I don’t have a ready answer, I need one for my “Hawker lineage” kits! Perhaps Graham at Iconicair might be able to fill the gap since he did the Attacker? 

I think you are right that Graham at Iconicair should tackle it. I am sure it will sell well. 

13 hours ago, Mr.T said:

I think you are right that Graham at Iconicair should tackle it. I am sure it will sell well. 

The Iconicair Attacker is indeed very good, I was fortunate to buy one of the last kits available.

So, we are all waiting for a 1/32 Sea Hawk.  :unsure:

23 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Daco is finalizing a plastic Fouga Magister.

Do you think it's still in the pipeline so to speak, Thierry?

That would be excellent news!

I'd go for a Seahawk  .....Hawkers "Thank Heaven for the Navy jet"..... used in Suez War , Indo/ Pak war 65/71...plenty of other nations . 

Plenty left to go measure as well . 

Thunder and Lightnings Site has some good survivor info .

Can anyone advise how good otherwise Trumps 1/48 effort was ? 

Edited by Panzerwomble

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

Can anyone advise how good otherwise Trumps 1/48 effort was ?

The Trumpeter Seahawk in 1/48 and the HobbyBoss 1/72 effort are both really good kits. I think that the designs were a cooperation with Monochrome, as was the Wyvern. The Trumpeter kit is certainly an improvement over the Classic Airframes kit in 1/48th.