"Kohimarama IX" of 23 (Ghost) Squadron, RNZAF.

Grizly

It's the Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair with Ventura Decals and sliding canopy and drop tank from the F4U-1A kit completed as "Kohimarama IX" of 23 (Ghost) Squadron, RNZAF. The only other after market stuff used were the Quinta Studio 3D decals for the instrument panel and consoles which I would guess are (going to be) hard to come by given they are from Russia. Too bad as they sure are nice. Paint was from AK.

Finally, a special thanx to Jeff W (aka NZTempest) for his help.

4dlxxej.jpg

sQGi7tE.jpg

cO0vU32.jpg

rt5Pw3r.jpg

ReHkbc9.jpg

Edited by Grizly
Added picture of actual aircraft

Lovely work! It's so refreshing to see a Kiwi Corsair model that doesn't look as though it's been perched on a coral atoll for decades! Beautiful stuff.

I never knew 23 was referred to as Ghost Squadron. It's not even mentioned on the unit's (admittedly small) Wikipedia page.

KiwiZac,

According to one reference I have, "No 23 Squadron, when forming up at Ardmore in 1944, was dubbed "The Ghost Squadron" by nearby Papakura residents who were unable to see pilots in the big Corsair as they landed and took-off. The name stuck and No23 Squadron adorned their aircraft with the White ghostly figure seen below the cockpit."

Uncarina,

As I indicated, it's the Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair with Ventura Decals. To be more specific, I used the kit decals for the stencils and walkways, Quinta Studio 3d decals in the cockpit and Ventura decals for the subject RNZAF markings. I did not use any commercial masks for the markings. I did, however, use the Eduard pre-cut masks on the canopy.