Sweetwater Jug: Hasegawa P-47D-40

Madmax

On 4/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, scvrobeson said:

Beautiful progress!  Does the AM engine fix the weird mounting error on the Hasegawa kit where the cowling sits too high?

Matt 

Thanks Matt, The cowling problem is designed into the kit (by accident I assume) and I will almost certainly be lowering the engine mount (the AM engine doesn't affect the root cause). Kind of you to subtly point out this strange error - it could really ruin the look of the model! ;)

On 4/24/2022 at 7:50 PM, Vince Blackburn said:

Hi Sean 

Lovely start

Vince

Thank you Vince.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:28 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work, Sean!

Kev

Much appreciated Kev.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:40 AM, TAG said:

Epic build so far, Sean, some really stellar styrene wrangling on your part. Loving the attention to detail, too.

Keep smashing it, looking forward to more paint!

Thomaz

Hi Thomaz, good to have a P-47 aficionado looking in! Please shout if you see me going off the rails...

Sean

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, MARU5137 said:

Hallo Sean, Wel, ek is oortuig dat jy uitstekende modelvaardighede het, net deur jou uitstaande werk te sien...

:bow:

Hello Sean,

Well I am convinced you have great modelling skills, just by seeing your outstanding work...

:bow:

Jou Afrikaans is verstommend goed Maru - baie dankie!

Most of us model builders want things that could possibly move on an aircraft posed in such a way to say: 'Look, it moved!'

Flaps down, vents open, slats open, and canopy ajar (except for Thunnus). I look at photographs to see what is often at odds with a 'clean' aircraft, and try to replicate that. On the P-47, the flaps are often down when standing on the ground. Maybe it's part of the shutdown checklist to facilitate maintenance or the next pre-flight? Whatever, down they go. But there is a snag. Hasegawa designed the flaps to be up, despite giving us a choice of hinges. Just look at the raised portion of skin to make them flush with the wing when retracted...

IMG_5703-X2.jpg

And these silly little stubs, that should actually be pretty complicated, articulated things that turn the flaps into 'slotted flaps'.

IMG_5697-X2.jpg

I have made very simplified arms to replicate them.

IMG_5700-X2.jpg

They should look more like this, but that is something best left to JayW to replicate (in fact I think he did in his 1/18th P-47D heavy mod). They are even more complicated than shown here but I don't have a picture.

maxresdefault-XL.jpg

Check out this little video: 

The kit hinges could use some attention to de-klunkify them.

IMG_5705-XL.jpg

Then I got rid of the raised portion of the flap.

IMG_5708-XL.jpg

They will have to be re-riveted now. I intend to 'pillow' the skin lightly in certain areas of the model which I will point out later (the top of the flaps being a prime candidate).

IMG_5717-XL.jpg

There are two additional details that the flap can benefit from. Pity I didn't buy an etched exterior set for the end cover - not sure I'm going to bother cutting one from styrene. :rolleyes:

P-47-MoF-2016-01-12-7013.jpg-nggid051015

The lack of detail behind the resin engine is actually not an issue. I didn't click that it is blocked from sight. :huh: Anyway, I figure an exhaust might be useful when looking into the back of the cowl flaps. This was made with thick sprue, melted and stretched over a paint bottle. Should do the trick...

IMG_5707-X2.jpg

IMG_5711-X2.jpg

That's it for now. Cheers!

Sean

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Fantastic work, Sean!

Kev

Thank you Kev!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:41 AM, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::popcorn:

I'd love to see the size of the cupboard where you stash your popcorn Mike...:lol:

On 5/6/2022 at 3:16 PM, Uncarina said:

Definitely the road less travelled with this kit! I always love watching your work

Cheers,  Tom.

Very kind of you Tom!

On 5/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, Gerhard said:

My magtig Sean, jy kan maar hoor.

Brilliant work man. Inspiring. 

Ja-nee Gerhard, you have more of a local flavour to your Afrikaans. ;) - thanks for checking in!

I don't have much of a story to tell this time, just some pictures of the bits I've managed to paint so far. The Dull Dark Green looks a bit lighter than it actually is, probably because the camera was compensating for the dark background. The decals are from the fantastic HGW P-47D Stencils and Placards set.

IMG_5774-X2.jpg

IMG_5780-X2.jpg

IMG_5785-X2.jpg

IMG_5788-X2.jpg

This is a first for me - a Yahu IP! I wanted to save some time, and I really like the precise printing. It does lack some depth however; so you'll notice the switch covers I added on the lower central panel.

IMG_5716-X2.jpg

I might still add the magneto selector that goes in the bottom left corner...

IMG_5793-X2.jpg

The QB engine paints up very nicely - the fine resin details are hard to beat in plastic. The time spent on the ignition harness is well worth it too.

IMG_5723-X2.jpg

Some oil leaks added:

IMG_5800-X2.jpg

Now to get those HGW seat belts threaded through the tiny buckles. :blink:

Cheers,

Sean

On 5/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, quang said:

Tweezers like these can help.

E45875-F7-9-E62-434-F-99-E6-32-A36-F9507

HTH

Quang

You are quite right Quang - double tweezers did the trick! Only snag is, I can't seem to get the HGW belts to drape nicely. You'll see what I resorted to shortly...

On 5/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Brilliant work Sean:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks Nick! Do we get to see your Corsair at a stage?

On 5/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, MikeMaben said:

...that just means I'm keeping a close eye on your work Sean  :coolio::popcorn:

:lol:

I don't have the knack of making the micro-fabric belts look realistic on the seat. They seem to levitate in places where I want them to hang. :huh: Lead foil to the rescue! I was able to salvage the buckles; which is the key. I can't imagine cutting them by hand (like Derek B does). Now the belts sit more like gravity would have them do. Only snag of course, is painting them. Maybe someone can tell me the trick with fabric belts?

IMG_5841-X2.jpg

IMG_5842-X2.jpg

These photo's were taken in natural light, and you get a better idea of how the Dull Dark Green looks. Maybe a bit too light, but otherwise the detail in the cockpit just disappears. Painting the belts is a bit messy around the buckles - I'll try and neaten it up a bit.

IMG_5850-X2.jpg

The Yahu IP really is incredible! It does feel like cheating to use one...:ph34r:

IMG_5857-X2.jpg

And look, I added a magneto selector: the red 'lever' on the bottom left of the panel. That'll take the curse off it!

IMG_5830-X2.jpg

Just before closing the fuselage, the vents have to be installed. I gave them a little ducting so they look a bit more functional when viewed from the outside.

IMG_5882-X2.jpg

The intercooler doors are also in need of some ducting if one elects to have them open. Here are the real ducts:

23-092018-X2.jpg

These are my cheapo reproductions.

IMG_5877-X2.jpg

Time to close her up. Glue please nurse...

Sean

13 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Only snag is, I can't seem to get the HGW belts to drape nicely.

I always thought the micro-fabric used by HGW is not the best material for miniature seat belts.
Keep in mind that WWII seat belts were  stiff, much stiffer that the ones we have in our modern cars. To me the best material is paper (like the RB stuff) or the newer Eduard STEEL photo-etched. 

I also like tin foil if I’d have to build them from scratch. It drapes and paints beautifully.

Quang

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, quang said:

Keep in mind that WWII seat belts were  stiff, much stiffer that the ones we have in our modern cars. 

This is a valid point Quang. 

For those who don't know about this issue, here is how the cowling fits if the engine mount isn't moved down. It doesn't look too bad in this view, but in the next photo the problematic fit is a bit easier to see.

IMG_5889-X2.jpg

IMG_5893-X2.jpg

Maybe Hasegawa based the fit on this restoration?

11-XL.jpg

But I believe the bottom of the cowl should actually be in line with the bottom of the fuselage. Like this:

P-47_Short_Snorter_318th_FG-L.jpg

The problem may also have something to do with the shape of the fuselage where it joins the cowling. I believe it is too 'square' and should be more rounded - leaving a bigger gap around the cowl-flaps when viewed from behind.

IMG_5894-X2.jpg

Cowl%20gap-L.jpg

I have tried to sand the nose rounder, but beware, the plastic thins out pretty fast. Here is another shape that seems to be wrong - the rounded portion just ahead of the big louvres.

IMG_5896-X2.jpg

I sanded it off and went with a scribed panel that looks more like this one's belly.

36940608731_e5b93dde61_b-XL.jpg

IMG_5920-X2.jpg

There is a panel line that runs along the join seam on top of the forward fuselage. This caused some headaches as I'm sure many of you have experienced with the spine of a Bf-109. I used super-thin cement to glue the fuselage, and the melted join is tricky to scribe. I think it might have been better to use superglue on this portion. The dark splotches ahead of the panel are where I sanded right through the plastic. Thick cyano to the rescue.

IMG_5924-X2.jpg

The fin fillet for the -40 is luckily included in the kit, but looks too chunky if used OOB.

IMG_5907-X2.jpg

Some more high risk sanding to thin it out as you can see by how the light shines through the plastic! :wacko:

IMG_5910-X2.jpg

I'm sure you noticed that the rudder got chopped off.

IMG_5885-X2.jpg

It needs some work to get it into shape, like this beautifully rebuilt one.

12010587_450436445164908_189495946584730

IMG_5914-X2.jpg

It also takes a bit of fettling to place the fittings for the rudder bellcrank and the elevator joining-tube thingy, but it looks way better than the one-piece control surfaces.

IMG_5919-X2.jpg

img_7940.jpg-L.jpg

The riveting wheel is about to make a couple of revolutions...

Cheers,

Sean