Hobby Boss 1/18 scale F-86

daveculp

The modeling community is all abuzz in Las Vegas because a new shop opened up today, Hobby Island.  Today is their "soft opening", and they'll have a grand opening later in the month.  Hobby shops have a hard time in Las Vegas.  Many have bit the dust over the years.  I went to the soft opening today to support the new business and came away with a kit.  I have a habit of buying large kits even though I have no place to put them.  :frantic:    I built a 1/32 scale F-86 when I was a teen, painted up like my father's F-86F that he flew at Soesterberg.  This one will be the same.  It's not in the build queue yet.

HB-F86.jpg

350_Ken_Culp.jpg

-- Dave

30 minutes ago, JimRice said:

Is this kit basically an unassembled 21st Century F-86 available a few years ago?  

I don't know.  I did open the box and have a look.  The kit doesn't have a lot of pieces.  The main components are held together with metal screws.  The tires and pilot figure are molded in black rubber.  The intake trunking is long, but not full length.  It comes with a lead weight.

Overall my impression is that it's useful as a starting point for further detailing.  It looks like a scaled-up 1/48 kit.

I'm be 3D printing some things for it.  Other than the inlet cover I can't think of any component that is missing, but I'm sure some of the parts could be replaced with more detailed versions.

-- Dave

8 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Pretty sure this is more of a kids' toy than a scale model kit but it might be a nice blank canvas. Similar kits (Bf.109, Me 262 etc) have looked very clunky.

Yes, it reminds me of my two current vacuform projects, except this kit starts off a light-year ahead.  So far the only thing that looks like a big problem are the panel lines - they look like canyons.  The model will have to be resurfaced and scribed.

-- Dave

1 hour ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

If I can afford it after my recent model based expenditures I’ll have to grab one, I just need to work out where to fit a fan and a 4s LiPo’s….

I think there's room for the fan and LiPo's.  Here it is next to a 1/32 Tiger:

compare.jpg