1/32 Tamiya P-51D-15-NA Mustang, "The Millie G"

Hoss FL

A 100% agreed with the rest of the pack: This is looking great!

Especially the chipping and worn paint on the wings.

One tiny weeny bit that - at least to my eye - isn't up to the very high standard is the sirt/soot aorund and behind the shell ejection chutes on the wing underside. I can't say if it's the shape or something else.

Cheers

Joachim

15 hours ago, Fanes said:

A 100% agreed with the rest of the pack: This is looking great!

Especially the chipping and worn paint on the wings.

One tiny weeny bit that - at least to my eye - isn't up to the very high standard is the sirt/soot aorund and behind the shell ejection chutes on the wing underside. I can't say if it's the shape or something else.

Cheers

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. Great eye and catch on this one. I've since adjusted the pattern to reflect the photos. Thanks again!

21 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

Agree on excellent weathering job! Out of curiosity, what method did you use for applying the exhaust stain? 

Thanks Phil! Much appreciated. 

As for the exhaust, I used the following photos I found on the interweb (don't remember the sources) as primary references. The first is my subject and shows the entire stain from the exhaust stubs to the tailwheel. The second is Big Beautiful Doll and I thought was a good color reference. 

hdIos7i.jpgLLJqhA2.jpg

I started the process with a streak of burnt umber oil paint that I worked into the general pattern. I followed this with a very thin Tamiya black brown mix (XF-64, XF-1 and X-20A thinner, at 90% thinner).  This was applied in very light streaks along the pattern at very low volume -- just wisps -- probably 50+ passes to build up the color. You can see that the edges of the pattern (top and bottom) are much lighter than the center in both photos. I used Tamiya deck tan XF-55 in the same streaking approach but in a much tighter line to replicate the photos. As a final step, I used a darker version of the black/brown mix for some streaks in the center, replicating the darkest areas in the center of the stain. 

I'll also probably apply some pastels - brown and black - around the exhaust stubs at the end of the build. 

Hope that helps. Thanks again for looking. 

My rendition of The Millie G is now complete. Since the last update, I finished weather the smaller parts and finalized all the detail painting. The I added some detail to the drop tank connections and gun bay doors. Final photos are on the Ready for Inspection thread.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/93574-132-tamiya-p-51d-the-millie-g/

Thanks again for all the comments, critiques and suggestions. Much appreciated. Thanks for following along. 

On 6/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Hoss FL said:

Thanks Phil! Much appreciated. 

As for the exhaust, I used the following photos I found on the interweb (don't remember the sources) as primary references. The first is my subject and shows the entire stain from the exhaust stubs to the tailwheel. The second is Big Beautiful Doll and I thought was a good color reference. 

hdIos7i.jpgLLJqhA2.jpg

I started the process with a streak of burnt umber oil paint that I worked into the general pattern. I followed this with a very thin Tamiya black brown mix (XF-64, XF-1 and X-20A thinner, at 90% thinner).  This was applied in very light streaks along the pattern at very low volume -- just wisps -- probably 50+ passes to build up the color. You can see that the edges of the pattern (top and bottom) are much lighter than the center in both photos. I used Tamiya deck tan XF-55 in the same streaking approach but in a much tighter line to replicate the photos. As a final step, I used a darker version of the black/brown mix for some streaks in the center, replicating the darkest areas in the center of the stain. 

I'll also probably apply some pastels - brown and black - around the exhaust stubs at the end of the build. 

Hope that helps. Thanks again for looking. 

Many thanks and an interesting approach I’d not considered before,