1/32 Tamiya P-51D-15-NA Mustang, "The Millie G"

Hoss FL

Greetings all:

Although visited LSP many times for ideas and tips on my builds, this is my first post on LSP. I'm beyond impressed with the modeling talent on this site and look forward to both sharing my work and learning from the members here. Most of my projects have been 1/48 scale but I'm starting to do more in 1/32. 

I first built the Tamiya Mustang kit a couple of years ago OOB as Lt Col. Meyer's "Petie 2nd."  For this project, I've decided to depict Major Edward Giller's "The Millie G" (44-14985), using the Tamiya kit as the base and will use the following AM goodies for added detail:

• Barracuda instrument panel
  • Eduard engine detail kit
  • Barracuda cockpit upgrade kit
  • Barracuda P-51D decals
  • Barracuda P-51D cockpit stencils and placards
  • Barracuda P-51D sidewalls
  • Eduard wheels
  • Eduard gun bay late
  • Eduard exterior detail kit
  • G-Factor landing gear

I've completed the engine and the instrument panel so far. 

I added ignition wiring and some of the Eduard detail kit PE parts (control linkages, fastener detail, etc.). 

uNgHL0a.jpg

Here's the instrument panel. The decals are from the Barracuda stencil and placard set. The Barracuda IP is a bit of work but I think is much better than the kit panel. 

mdTJjti.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and critique welcome. 

Edited by Hoss FL

Welcome aboard, Hoss FL!

:post1:

When posting images, don't use the bbCode format (the one with the stuff in square brackets). The forum also doesn't support posted formatted HTML. Instead of the following:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mdTJjti.jpg[/img]

You just need the plain image URL, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/mdTJjti.jpg

Which will give you this:

mdTJjti.jpg

Nice work, by the way!

Kev

Thanks for the comments so far. Much appreciated. 

The central fuselage main components are now complete. 

The oil tank and firewall were painted Mr. Color chromate yellow and some of the Eduard detail kit parts have been added. 

mizosvK.jpg

The HGW seatbelts are excellent and the dingy is an improvement over the boxy kit part. I applied the HGW wood decals onto the floorboards, then used the AK worn effects fluid technique with dark gray paint to achieve the worn floorboard look. The main cockpit color is Mr. Color chromate green. 

QAPH8Ia.jpg

The Barracuda battery and radio parts are also nice upgrades over the kit parts, along with the Barracuda decal set. The wiring was added per the Barracuda instructions. 

0EAnuHt.jpg

The IP has been added to the assembly. 

Pz7YBOg.jpg

Here are all the main fuselage components connected together. 

ewcvflS.jpg

On to the cockpit sidewalls now. I'll get some better photos of the cockpit when the sidewalls are complete. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome.  

Thanks for the comments Mike and MARU.

The cockpit sidewalls are now complete. I used the Barracuda sidewall and detail kits along with their excellent P-51 cockpit decal set.

The cockpit detail set includes PE rudder pedal inserts that adds a nifty element. 

qm9v2Np.jpg

The Barracuda sidewalls are amazingly detailed. The switches and dials in particular really pop after painting and decals. 

cFTkff5.jpg

I added some more weathering to the floor by highlighting the fasteners with a dab of silver paint and worked some earth colored oil paint into the floorboards. I think it's been pointed out before, but the kit floor does not fit cleanly into the starboard sidewall due to interference with the molded cable bundle in the lower section of the sidewall. Barracuda's site explains how to cut the floor section to eliminate the interference. 

f8VnhSL.jpg

I swapped the seatbelt from another build based on Mike's comments above (Thanks Mike). I check my references and couldn't find anything definitive regarding seatbelt types beyond Mike's drawing but I'm thinking the HGW seatbelts I originally used were for the earlier seat type. 

c2VpoXa.jpg

Added the throttle linkage to the port sidewall. The IP sun shade sure does its job and it would have been better to wait until after photos to install it. Next time. 

TfM6JLB.jpg

I also added the Tamiya kit throttle levers after I broke the original Barracuda units. I didn't see it happen but noticed them missing after one of my several test fits of the fuselage components. Nothing like a little extra drama. I'm going to wait to install the canopy slide rails until the just before the canopy goes on because they are delicate PE parts. Both the Barracuda sidewall kit and the Eduard exterior detail kit supply PE canopy rails. I'll decide which to use later on. 

1O8rQsv.jpg

Now it's on to the rest of the fuselage and landing gear bays. Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Thanks all for the nice comments. Made some more progress over the last week.  I've completed the engine bay section of the fuselage at this point.

I painted the exhaust stubs per reference photos. Flat black base, then Mr. Color Super Iron, followed in sequence in a random pattern -- brown, rust, purple, deck tan and black. The tape mark denotes the first stub, which didn't have as much light colored staining. I like the way Tamiya organized the stubs on the sprues -- easy to paint and the gates are at the base for less cleanup. 

nyinhTI.jpg

After painting the framing with Mr Color Super Fine Silver and YZC, I gave it a gloss coat, an oil wash and then a flat coat. The Tamiya fit of course is perfect. 

73x6hIA.jpg

The Eduard detail kit adds some PE sections to the frame sections and hose clamps for some nice detail.
nqgQ9Vm.jpg

I used CA glue to attach most of the framing and tubing. 

5rAyTWq.jpg

I also drilled out the attachment holes for the covers on the framing and on the firewall. 

sV0G7cv.jpg

I added some lines around the oil separator and firewall for some added interest - I doubt they are completely accurate but they dress up the space.

wjJdBBn.jpg

The tubing that attaches to the top of the engine has a subpar fit so I added some connectors that fit flush to the covers. 

ARkVysy.jpg

I used the Eduard detail kit hose clamps, which are a little more crisp that the kit part details. 

VVoU7W5.jpg

Still some more weathering to do in this area. I'll tackle that further into the build. 

Comments and critiques are more than welcome. Thanks for looking.