1 Man Army data stencils for airbrush

Woody V

6 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I just realized that some go these masks are technically incorrect for some aircraft, particularly the Grummans. I know for certain the Hellcat and Avenger were not marked with stencils from the factory, but rather a commonly used font, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for the Wildcat and Douglas SBD. Perhaps if these were repainted as part of a "field modification" stencils would be used, but they did not come from the factory like that.

Sure, this is splitting hairs but I'm just saying. 

F4u markings were listed as ‘decals’ on the factory drawings…

I watched the demo video and note and acknowledge those above who post that for some aircraft painted stencils are not actually correct.  I am of mixed feeling regarding spray stencils as I look at this product.  Part of me says that you have to mask extensively around every stencil as you spray, take a spitfire ix, there are a lot of stencils.  Also if I am seeing this right you have to lay down individual stencils and reuse them.  It takes me quite a while to stencil an aircraft with decals, painting all of these things I am not sure is worth the effort as it would take me weeks to do the stencils on some airplanes if spraying them a few at a time.  

Then you have the discussion of what is technically correct as we are building scale models, I feel comfortable personally with what ever looks right and makes sense to do.  A technically correct application may not always look correct on a scale model.  I could see a much stronger argument for using these stencils selectively, for example take the p-51d and the prominent data stencils appearing below and a bit in front of the cockpit.  There are other applications as well where the stencil is very front and center.  But the numerous tiny ones all over a typical airframe, I might just decal regardless of what is the “ideal” result.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

F4u markings were listed as ‘decals’ on the factory drawings…

I was referring to the font rather than the method to get them on the aircraft. Like many things in model building the generic term "data stencils" is misused and Archer is just as guilty as anyone. Kinda' like "acrylic" paint is commonly accepted as being water based when in fact "acrylic" refers to the binder, the additive that holds the pigments together to form a film in lacquer and enamel too.

stencilnon.gif

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

I understood that. What I was implying was that if they were called out as decals on the factory drawings, they wouldn't typically be stencils, but full letters/numbers as you show above. I.e., I was agreeing with you.  

For replicating stenciled markings, these look like a good option to have. I considered buying a set for my Uhu, but many of the markings on the genuine article were hand-lettered, not stenciled, and the necessary breaks in the masks have an adverse effect on legibility.

Cheers

Adam

On 4/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

It's a French word that is the source of our "modern" term decals.

Kev

Sounds more like an affliction ha - like I have more decals than I have kits to apply them to - bad case of Decalcomania 

:)

Edited by petrov27
spelling is hard