WOWSL Inspired 1/350 HobbyBoss Alaska

The Madhatter

Hey everyone

I have just finished my HB Alaska after quiet a 3 month stint away from the pressures of the WIP thread and I must say, I really enjoyed it.

The kit itself is fantastic and it's got what all ship kit makers should include in every kit - a decent array of PE. The only AM parts I bought were the metal gun barrels from Infinity Models and the Toms Model Works Mk8 Fire Control array ( I thoroughly mucked up the kit part)

I've always thought the Alaska was a sleek and aggressive looking ship and when I saw the Black ship on World of Warships, I knew what I was going to do. I swapped out the white highlights for red and used Nato Black and Flat black for the rest.

I wanted the camo to look used and crappy - but in reality, it was all an illusion - suckering destroyers into thinking she's almost dead in the water, drawing them in closer then letting rip all 12x16" goodness that were those awesome main batteries

I need to apologise for the dust that has made its way onto the deck. We are having renovations done and there is a lot of plaster dust still hanging around, despite my best efforts to keep it clean and a brush off before the shoot, its still found time to settle at the worst possible time.

This is my 4th and only surviving 1/350 ship kit, so be gentle. I am painfully aware of the not so good build quality in places.

IMG_8530

IMG_8528

IMG_8501 IMG_8503

IMG_8504 IMG_8520

IMG_8509

IMG_8508

IMG_8526

IMG_8524

IMG_8522

That's enough photos I think. I am pretty happy with it regardless of the faults. The camera makes them look worse (its my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!)

As always, thanks for looking

Si

Nice! I admire anyone that can add all that P.E. and rigging in this scale. Warship Pictorials does a nice book on the Alaska class, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Speaking of included P.E., my 1:200 USS Hornet comes with 9 frets of the stuff.

9 sheets?! good grief. Still,thats  what I would consider to be good value in a kit. 

Ezine is a fantastic product which really lives up to its name. Makes doing rigging so much easier. 

The photos have emphasised the faux rusting more than what it is in person. Its much more subtle on my shelf.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, The Madhatter said:

9 sheets?! good grief. Still,thats  what I would consider to be good value in a kit. 

Ezine is a fantastic product which really lives up to its name. Makes doing rigging so much easier. 

The photos have emphasised the faux rusting more than what it is in person. Its much more subtle on my shelf.

I'm not familiar with Ezine. Is that the elastic stuff?