1:350 USS Hornet (Trumpeter)

LSP_K2

1 hour ago, steinerman said:

I'm following this with interest, Kevin.  You don't see many ship builds here and I'm glad to see you're tackling this beauty.  What you've done so far is great, but I gotta tell ya, you have a long road ahead! But, it's worth it, believe me.  I'll be a thing of beauty when it's done.  And yes, you're going to spend a lot of money on this beast, not just in paint, but other incidentals as well.  Keep posting and most of all - have fun!

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I have most of her colors now straightened out, though not all have been ordered yet. There will be no incidentals on this model at all, and I'll also be skipping some stuff altogether, the specific deck blue painting of all the horizontal surfaces and whatnot, as an example. Having assembled all of the gun platforms and catwalks already, it would now be nearly impossible to hand paint all of that stuff, so I won't bother. None of this will, in and of itself, hurt the model in competition, and that's an excellent thing. When I tackle the 1:200 kit, my painting and assembly sequencing will be completely different from what I've done here.

I've already spent way too much on paints for this baby, a consequence of researching the needed colors, only after I've already glued everything together. This, hopefully, is the last of it. My second bottle of MRP ever, and I certainly hope it's better than the first. (At least I now have a much better idea of how to approach the big ol' 1:200 kit!)

cW5mDV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with this build! I know you'll do great. This link is to a builder that put together this same kit, but went as far as lighting it and used a lot of PE. He's got a good website to help us builders out. That where I learned LED lighting.

https://davidsscalemodels.com/commissioned-work/1-350-trumpeter-uss-hornet-cv-8/

Again, good luck!:punk:

2 hours ago, KYCrewdog said:

Good luck with this build! I know you'll do great. This link is to a builder that put together this same kit, but went as far as lighting it and used a lot of PE. He's got a good website to help us builders out. That where I learned LED lighting.

https://davidsscalemodels.com/commissioned-work/1-350-trumpeter-uss-hornet-cv-8/

Again, good luck!:punk:

I saw that. One thing I certainly didn't like, was the huge grained plywood he used for the carrier deck itself. Other than that, it looks just excellent.