1:350 USS Hornet (Trumpeter)

LSP_K2

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Sorry Kevin, I gave it away. Will you be adding photoetch?

Cheers,  Tom

Nope, my eyes (and hands) simply aren't up to that. Fortunately, P.E. isn't required for competition, so I'll just do my best without it. I will add the stuff to the 1:200 kit though, no matter how tough that may be for me, as I just feel it'll add so much to the presentation.

7 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

Going to watch your progress. I have the CV-6 in 1/350 and 1/200

to build. I wish Trumpeter made some 1/200 Avengers for the deck! 

Are you building it with the B-25's on the deck?

Cheers...Ron

Nope, just a few Wildcats and Dauntless'.

6 hours ago, themongoose said:

Wow those ejector pin marks are insane! Definitely a good idea to do her out of the box. She’ll look good waterline!

Yes, assuming I can pull off the water realistically. I've read about several different methods, but have never tried any of them.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yes, assuming I can pull off the water realistically. I've read about several different methods, but have never tried any of them.

Ive done quite a few now. Throw any questions you have my way, glad to pass on knowledge from someone who passed it on to me!

As is all too typical, the kit parts are just peppered with ejector pin marks, and the underneath area of the rear flight deck is certainly no exception. I’ve added small bits of .010 strip, in an effort to “disguise” this area. Once painted, it should look fine (I hope). Just a wee bit more sanding, and this area will be complete. The two rear gun tubs are interesting. I have to wonder if these guns were manned during aircraft recovery operations.

I’ve also “discovered” two additional 1:350 ships that I may have to take a run at. The Graf Zeppelin WWII German aircraft carrier is available in kit form, and while obviously never used during the war, does offer up the possibility of a spiffy dazzle scheme, similar to the Tirpitz or Bismarck. Seeming like an odd blend of pre-WWII and WWII design philosophies, the Zeppelin was truly unique in its arrangements.

The other is a US Montana class battleship. While never completed, the Montana class would have been magnificent beasts. Intended to follow on the heels of the last two of the six Iowa class battleships (which were never completed), the Montana class offered up an additional 16” triple gun turret and was just bristling with 40mm quads, so I think I may just have to have one.

B1Pa1u.jpg

3 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Keep test fitting the flight deck to the hull as you go. That's the absolute most frustrating part of this kit. It doesn't fit well at all.

Interesting; my experience thus far, is that the fit is almost perfect.

Do you have any photos of yours?

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I’ve also “discovered” two additional 1:350 ships that I may have to take a run at.

The other is a US Montana class battleship. While never completed, the Montana class would have been magnificent beasts. Intended to follow on the heels of the last two of the six Iowa class battleships (which were never completed), the Montana class offered up an additional 16” triple gun turret and was just bristling with 40mm quads, so I think I may just have to have one.

Is that the Very Fire Kit? I bought the 1/700 version as I wasn't prepared to pay nearly $490au for the kit and detail set. The 700th version is very nice. Veryfire are a relatively new company and their ship kits are very good. I also built the H-class German battleship to do as the Grosser Kurfurst from WOWSL and its very nearly done, but I screwed up on the weathering and some things have broken off into god knows where. The Montana is a cool looking ship though right?