low flying Ukrainian Su 27 with a road sign embedded on the intake!

I think this happened back in 2020? IIRC it was a demo for the media of aircraft operating from a road and he hit the sign on landing or take-off.

Edit: it was 2020 https://theaviationgeekclub.com/video-shows-ukrainian-su-27-hitting-road-sign-during-highway-landing-exercise/

Edited by vince14

I have a couple of books in which planes hit things and managed to not only keep flying but make it back to base.

I think the Kagero P47 books talk about a German soldier who had his head taken clean off by a P47 wing. Another P47 had clipped an electric? pole. IIRC it left a massive amount of damage but the plane made it back.

In another book on typhoons(?) apparently one plane hit a wave as they were returning from a mission. One pilot looked to the side and saw his mate disappear in a plume of spray and salt water...only to see him lurch back into the air and contine flying. Prop was bent to hell but plane made it back.

Matty

9 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

In another book on typhoons(?) apparently one plane hit a wave as they were returning from a mission. One pilot looked to the side and saw his mate disappear in a plume of spray and salt water...only to see him lurch back into the air and contine flying. Prop was bent to hell but plane made it back.

Matty

Same thing happens in one of the Ukrainian/Russia shot down videos posted on here earlier.  Russian(?) chopper gets popped and the guy below and behind him freaks and flies straight into the water only to emerge from the impact and keep on keepin’ on like he’d trained for it.  Must have been his lucky day.