ICM 32035 DH.82A Tiger Moth

Iain

We take a look at ICM's recent rendition of the wonderful de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth - released last year.

2432-1.jpg

We wish the ICM team, along with family and friends, all the best given the current awful situation in their country - we very much hope they all stay safe and well.

A couple of relevant accessory reviews to follow shortly...

Blue skies!

Iain

• Iain changed the title to ICM 32035 DH.82A Tiger Moth
2 hours ago, Iain said:

Whilst this review linked above is purely an 'in-box' exercise, Max Williams has done a superb job of directly comparing available 1:32 Tiger Moth kits from Matchbox (Revell), Silver Wings and ICM.

Iain

Thanks Iain, it was great fun to do in the dark days of lockdown……gosh that seems a long time ago and hopefully will never return! 

Here's a bit of inspiration if you're wondering whether to buy the kit (and why would you not buy one? :))  I took myself along to Old Warden today, and saw this lovely visiting Tiger parked up. Alas, I wasn't able to get closer.  You'll notice that the serial is only two digits different from the 3FTS option on the kit decals.  G-INFO tells me that its true identity is G-MOTH, formerly DE306.

G-MOTH-03042022-01.jpg

G-MOTH-03042022-02.jpg

G-MOTH-03042022-03.jpg

Edited by MikeC

18 hours ago, mozart said:

Lovely pics of a beautiful plane Mike, many thanks. I see she’s one with the footstep beneath the rear cockpit on the starboard side, that I think makes her an early one. 

16 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Nice photos Mike. 

:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Iain said:

Ace photos Mike - isn't she pretty!

Iain

Thanks folks, and yes, she is a beauty.

Edited by MikeC

It did puzzle me that whilst it was nee DE306, it appears to be a DH82 rather than an 82a.  However, after I posted these on FB in a couple of groups, someone who clearly knows the owner says it is "... a re-creation of the RAF’s first Tiger. Built ... from components from many Tigers."

40 minutes ago, MikeC said:

It did puzzle me that whilst it was nee DE306, it appears to be a DH82 rather than an 82a.  However, after I posted these on FB in a couple of groups, someone who clearly knows the owner says it is "... a re-creation of the RAF’s first Tiger. Built ... from components from many Tigers."

Ah, that explains a lot…..bit of an impostor then Mike! Still very pretty though. (Do you remember Bitsa motorbikes? Bits ‘a this, bits ‘a that!!) 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

...(Do you remember Bitsa motorbikes? Bits ‘a this, bits ‘a that!!) 

Sadly I don't specifically recall them Max, although the term doesn't surprise me and it raised a chuckle :lol:.  I was never that into motorbikes; a number of my friends were, and seemed to spend as much time fixing them as actually riding them. 

• 2 weeks later...

G-MOTH was indeed rebuilt from parts as DH.82, by Russavia at Duxford in the Eighties, if I recall correctly. Note the lack of tailplane anti-spin strakes and the fabric-covered upper, rear fuselage covering (plywood on the DH.82A).

• 1 month later...