Trumpeter buys KH / PM molds

KAGNEW

No dumb question at all. 

Academy doesn't make the UH-1D/H Huey in 1/35 scale. They only made the UH-1C gunship offering which is totally different.

I think mostly all the helo modelers want a UH-1D.

Academy kits are ok except for the H-60 ones.

They sucked!!!

The Academy kits were the only large scale H-60's out there so they were it until KH released there's. 

For starters 

1) the kit had more "squat" to it than the real helo

2) the HIRSS exhaust are badly misshapen  

3) ALOT of missing detail on the interior

And I go on and on!!!

I helped design the KH H-60 kits along with Floyd Werner and some other H-60 guys and we made sure from the start that it would be light years better than the crappy Academy kit. 

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

2 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

What is wrong with the Academy 1/35 Huey series? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am not a big follower of Helicomtomiter kits but I do have on Academy one and it seems nice.

Assuming you really mean Huey, the Academy UH-1B/C kits were reboxes of kits originally released by MRC.  They aren’t bad kits, but are of the early short cabin Hueys, and most people want the later long cabin versions from the D model and up.  I think the only long cabin 1/35 UH-1s were the Dragon (ex-Panda) kits, which had some issues.

Are you sure that you aren’t talking about the H-60 Blackhawks?  Both Academy and KH did those in 1/35.

KH had announced a 1/35 UH-1D, but it was never released before the company closed down.

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, mattcour said:

That is good news! It would be a shame if all those moulds would be wasted. Looking forward to seeing the 1/32 aircraft line available again.

Me too. A Kingfisher and F-86 would be welcome additions to my stash.

I had built a Mirage 2000 and F-5 before they went down and wished I had bought a few more of these so that is great for me. I hope Trumpeter gives better and more correct decals for these than their own releases.

I built an F-100C in 1/48 of the Trumpeter a few years ago to see that all the relevant stencils on the aircraft read "F-100D". They did not even bother to change the stencils between C and D releases and even the serial numbers remained the same. It's been a while since my last Trumpeter build, I hope they are doing better with the decals in general now and will do better with their versions of the KH kits.

4 hours ago, Violator1991 said:

I had built a Mirage 2000 and F-5 before they went down and wished I had bought a few more of these so that is great for me. I hope Trumpeter gives better and more correct decals for these than their own releases.

I built an F-100C in 1/48 of the Trumpeter a few years ago to see that all the relevant stencils on the aircraft read "F-100D". They did not even bother to change the stencils between C and D releases and even the serial numbers remained the same. It's been a while since my last Trumpeter build, I hope they are doing better with the decals in general now and will do better with their versions of the KH kits.

The decals were the least of the F-100 kits’ problems (in all three scales).

Ben

8 hours ago, Chek said:

I'm OK for Sabres, but in typical fashion I waited for the price to drop a bit more on the Kingfisher, and then it was gone altogether.

Looking forward to it reappearing at some stage.

Crazy prices everywhere! I have one in land based bird build process (learning how to paint gloss ) and I want another to build a float variant. 

On 3/25/2022 at 3:20 AM, FCM said:

I hope they can take the 3D designs they have ready too. HK had a Jaguar Mk.I and an F-11 ready for 1/32 that were not released...

Wow. Do you mean Sepecat Jaguar GR.1 ?  That would be a splendid thing. 

And the F.11F in Blues markings would be quite neat too.

Tony 

That's my understanding too Thierry, although there were the photos that were published of the Jaguar that Song was working on before he was involved with Kitty Hawk, but I'd assumed that materialised as the 1:48 KH kit...

And there *was* that Buccaneer that appeared around the same time...

Old thread: What happened to those Trumpeter kits!!

Wonder if Song will be back designing for Trumpeter - IIRC he did quite a few of their better 1:32 subjects?

It's fun to dream - but, personally, I've got more on my plate than I can cope with as it is! :DodgeBall:

Iain

15 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

Decent Frogfoots in 48th scale eventually. Finally. Not that I enjoy the looks of that plane, but it is a must in quarter scale, same as the A-10.

???  Is Trumpeter planning on releasing a 1/48 Su-25?  With the new Zvezda kit out, it seems we already have a decent quarter-scale Frogfoot.