A little MRP goes a long way!

ivanmoe

On 5/17/2022 at 12:44 PM, Zola25 said:

Hmm - I just ordered the entire new range of Japanese paints :huh: - Let´s see how they will arrive

/Niels

...they all arrived safely with no leakage

16 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

One of my glossy sea blues very slightly leaked out.  It sat in a black mailbox in 97 degree heat from 5 pm until 7:30. Basically an oven.  Wondering if bottle pressurized and blew out enough to lower pressure?

Nah, it's the bottle/cap. If I sound confident in making that statement, it's because I received two bad bottles of MRP014 about ten days ago. The other three colors in the shipment were okay. I didn't contact SB about the issue. At this point, they surely realize that they've got some compromised product coming from MRP. I like the paint and will keep buying so long as the loss is minimal (5-10%) and limited to certain colors. Having initiated this thread, I'm somewhat hesitant to continue mentioning the leakage here at LSP, not wanting to be seen as:deadhorse:.

Edit: Posted the above, and realized that I'd left out an interesting detail regarding my MRP woes...

SB is sending me paint bottles in a plastic bag. Impacted bottles are very easy to identify as the paint is CLEARLY leaking from around the cap. From there, the paint either drains up onto the cap, or down the length, and perhaps the base, of the bottle. What I find a little strange is that other bottles in the bag are, generally speaking, spotless. I mention this element of the story, because I don't understand why wet lacquer doesn't coat the good bottles as well as the bad. I have no clue. Chalk this one up to the several mysteries surrounding MRP paints!

Edited by ivanmoe
added details

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Some of my non leakers got paint on them with my first shipment of leakers. 

Scott, This is the sort of thing that I'm seeing:

back-2.jpg

That's a pic from an old post, BTW. Note the paint on the plastic bag. The paint in the bags is invariably still wet and the fumes are pretty intense. However, I have no explanation, whatsoever, as to how the four clean bottles that you see above endured shipment in the same bag WITHOUT exhibiting some level of staining. Honestly, very strange.

Edited by ivanmoe

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

I'm not a fan of the new plastic bottles.

I don't think this would have happened with the old glass ones.

Given the cost of MRP paint, you would think they could have still sold it in the glass bottles.

Couldn´t agree more - the glass bottles were really nice

35 minutes ago, denders said:

I just received some MRP from SB on Wednesday. They all came with this additional 'label'. :lol:

VJ157B.jpg

That's interesting.  What color primer is that?  I got a shipment monday with white, grey, and sand yellow primers, no extra labels.  

49 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

What color primer is that?

Looks like 088, "Olive."

'Nuther question, is that a SB or MRP solution?

Edited by ivanmoe
Added apostrophe

26 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

Looks like 088, "Olive."

'Nuther question, is that a SB or MRP solution?

Don't know, but you can get it at amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Gripper-Seal-Label-1-3-12/dp/B08R6DGXKJ

Or direct from the source

https://commerce.printsource-inc.com/cgi-bin/XebraWeb.exe?WebStoreHome&referrer=https://commerce.printsource-inc.com/thegripper/

Edited by Citadelgrad

Was looking over the MRP surface primers just now, and discovered that they've  come up with a new convention for naming the material(s). Rather than being assigned a three-digit suffix like the other lacquers, the primers now have a three-letter suffix. The "Olive" variety that I made reference to above is no longer MRP-088, having been renamed MRP-LPO. Here's a link to the primers and the company website:

MRP Surface Primers

And yes, I digress... ;)

I received other colors too. These would have been shipped on Monday. 

I’m not at home. I’ll check the color and let you know. 

EDIT: Yes, that is the Olive Green Fine Surface Primer.

Edited by denders

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

UPDATE:

Got a small shipment from SB just now, no leaks, but I also notice they also have the Gripper tape over both lids.

Elepwe.jpg

I purchased a couple of bottles last week, and they also arrived with the tape on them. I'm somewhat amazed that the tape is seen as an effective measure to contain the liquid, given that MRP lacquers are REALLY thin. Hard to believe that the tape will secure the contents any better than a cap that's tightened down. We'll see.