****Finished**** 1/32 Great Wall Hobby - P-40 Curtiss Hawk "Flying Tigers"

Tolga ULGUR

I don't like the PE parts either but it seems like you've got these in place very nicely.  I think when I build mine, I'll make replacement covers from plastic sheet.  I have a scribing template for piano hinges so that won't be too much of a chore to replicate.  Nice work by the way, I always enjoy watching your builds, no matter what the subject.

1 hour ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

But I did not like photo etched covers on the surface of the wings.

They are too thin, fragile and ready to be deformed.

I wholeheartedly agree.
The photo-etch sheet provided is at best primitive and nowhere near the quality Eduard has accustomed us to.

A quick remedy would be to back up the metal with a thin 10thou. plasticard. That way you’d get a more manageable and rigid part while keeping the detailed face.

I did it for the cowling flaps lever in the cockpit and it worked rather well.

HTH

Quang

D100-EB05-B76-D-4-CB7-B76-F-4-BC88392719

Edited by quang

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I don't like the PE parts either but it seems like you've got these in place very nicely.  I think when I build mine, I'll make replacement covers from plastic sheet.  I have a scribing template for piano hinges so that won't be too much of a chore to replicate.  Nice work by the way, I always enjoy watching your builds, no matter what the subject.

Thanks for your nice comments.

1 hour ago, quang said:

I wholeheartedly agree.
The photo-etch sheet provided is at best primitive and nowhere near the quality Eduard has accustomed us to.

A quick remedy would be to back up the metal with a thin 10thou. plasticard. That way you’d get a more manageable and rigid part while keeping the detailed face.

I did it for the cowling flaps lever in the cockpit and it worked rather well.

HTH

Quang

D100-EB05-B76-D-4-CB7-B76-F-4-BC88392719

Thanks for the hint.

Yes it looks very useful for PE materials.

I checked tje lower PE covers and decided to modify them with your method.

4 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

The piece of J21 on the sprue was broken in three places.

I agree that some parts are microscopic-sized and very delicate. This is one of the instances where a single-bladed sprue cutter like DSPIAE is a must.

Edited by quang

3 hours ago, quang said:

I agree that some parts are microscopic-sized and very delicate. This is one of the cases where a single-bladed sprue cutter like DSPIAE is a must.

Definitely. But in my case the relevant part was already broken while it was attached on the sprue. Maybe it was like this when it arrived and I hadn't checked all the pieces with paranoid eyes.

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Wow! Excellent work on what’s clearly a lovely kit. 

Thank you.

Nice work so far.  I'll be interested to see how the wing root fillets fit into place.  If it's as neat as the rest of the kit so far, it will make a really good wing to fuselage join and not many kits have managed that until recently.

Cheers,

Michael