In With a Trumpeter P-51b

Made some progress yesterday.  The scheme my daughter chose needs to have a red/yellow checkered section around the forward part of the fuselage.  The spinner is red and yellow.  Test fitting the decals showed they were not going to be a good fit; so I decided to make my own masks and airbrush the checkered pattern.  I also buffed out the base coat of the paint job with an eye towards setting up a bit of a highlight and shadow effect that I'll enhance later.  That turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag, but I think it will be a good base for later weathering. 

Ernest

IMG_4197

Step 1:  Masking off, always a challenge with curved surfaces.  I used some elastic tape for the job.

IMG_4198

Step 2:  Spray the base color.  As we all know yellow and red are notorious for their poor coverage.  I laid down a coat of Alclad II polished aluminium to help

get better coverage, and to add a little "pop" to the tone.  The yellow is MRP RLM 04 - Maybe 8th Fighter Command got their hands on some Luftwaffe stock.

IMG_4199

Step 3:  Masking off for the second color.  I cut 3mm (mostly) pieces of Tamiya tape and then placed them to form a checker pattern.  The curvature of the

nose made this something of a challenge, and to be honest I should have cut several pieces somewhat asymmetrical to allow for the curvature, but the end

result turned out to be decent.

IMG_4207

And the final result.  Not perfect, and I'll have to touch up a couple of spots, but it turned out better than I expected.

IMG_4210

I was concerned about getting the lower forward area to look decent as the curvature here is surprisingly complex, curving in two directions.  I did not get it

perfect, but it looks good enough - except under the macro lenses of course!

IMG_4211

The nose in two colors.

IMG_4204

This and the following shots show the base coat after buffing.

IMG_4205

IMG_4206

17 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Very nice Ernest. Great job on the red and yellow checkerboard.

Andy

Thank you Andy, the mask and paint turned out better than I expected.

Ernest

16 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great job on the yellow and red markings. The real ones were far from perfect in reality, so any irregularity is more authentic!

Alain

Thank you Alain.  Making my own masks, even simple ones like the checkerboard ones, is not one of my better skills.  So it is good to know that the real ones were not absolute perfection so mine fit right in.

Ernest

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb job, Ernest! I'm stalled on the red/yellow sections of my own Mustang build. Yours turned out brilliantly!

Kev

Thank you Kev!  I thought about how to get an acceptable look and had a couple of false starts before producing the final result.  It is certainly not perfect, but I think it gets the job done.

Ernest

After another week long business trip I got back to the bench last night.  I ended up using masks for the U.S. insignia as the three different sets of decals I tried all turned out to be slightly translucent.  Masking the insignia was a concentration intensive process with a lot of adjustments.  Airbrushing was pretty straight forward and the end product turned out acceptable.  I mixed my own insignia blue in an attempt to give it a slightly faded shade.  After the paint cured I decided to use 4000 - 8000 grade buffing pads to give the paint a worn and faded appearence; I did this for the entire model in fact.  The end result turned out ok, though I now have to do a few minor touch up where I got a bit aggressive while rubbing the surface.  The sharp eyed amongest you will notice the tail wheel is now askew.  I managed to knock it loose while handling the plane and now have what looks like a "fiddle fest" in front of me to get it positioned and secured again.  (sigh)  I'll do that after decaling though.

Ernest

IMG_4212

IMG_4213

IMG_4214

IMG_4215

23 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Ernest! I'm about to embark on my own wrestling match with paint masks.

Kev

Thank you Kev!  I finished decaling the build last night and will try to take and post some photos later today.

Ernest