In With a Trumpeter P-51b

2 minutes ago, mc65 said:

I didn't know about the canopy set proposed by Jack, and now it's too late, darn! :BANGHEAD2:

Well actually you could still work this out with the canopy set, because it is not "correcting" the original fuselage part, it is replacing it, so you'd need some very simple surgery by cutting away the neccessary fuselage part, and replace it with the resin part, which is all the way in clear resin so you'd only have to paint the fuselage indications.

I don't know how far ahead you are with your P51B, but it might be a tricky try to cut thru an already assembled fuselage part, and maybe not worth the effort.

I myself haven't used it yet on a mustang kit, but did some surgery years ago on a hybrid hasegawa D model trying to turn it into a B, by using the upper part(spine forward towards the windscreen) from an old Revell kit, but eventually trashed it......

Hi Jack, my P51 is already built and painted, you may find it in the "mighty 8" group also.

I had the feeling the upper central fuselage was someway fat, so I forced it with clamps and epoxy to obtain a sligthly better look, but knowing before of the resin set first I would definitely use it!

too late, amen.

Paolo, how could i have missed this one, i'm a real Mustang "nut", and just checked your GB entry, and i'm really impressed by your approach to this B model, a great job, and this proves that modelling isn't just slapping together a kit, but trying to be a modeller and improving any items that would be neccessary, great job!!

Ciao

Jack

19 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Looks like you making great progress on this Ernest. Beautiful work. I love you let your daughter pick the scheme for this build. :thumbsup:

Thank you Andy!  My daughter enjoys helping pick camo and decal schemes; and I enjoy seeing her happiness when a build she picked things out for is finished.  Sometimes that means a build is not 100% accurately marked, but that is not important in the greater scheme of things.  She also claims all builds she picked the colors/decals for; so I have an "Ani" display vitrine with those models in it.  She proudly shows visitors her models and can even tell them a bit about the background of each one.  It is a joy to watch.

Ernest

15 hours ago, mc65 said:

Great! This reminds me of a hellcat with the tiger stripes proposed by my son!:wub:

great advancing on the painting, too, go ahead!

I didn't know about the canopy set proposed by Jack, and now it's too late, darn! :BANGHEAD2:

Thank you Paolo.  Hopefully I will have some more progress to show this week.  I think a tiger striped Hellcat would look pretty cool by the way.  I once built a 1/48 Ju52 for my daughter that I airbrushed the Milka Cow purple and decaled with the Milka Cow livery.  THAT build generated a lot of comments from visitors.

Ernest 

Finished the base painting this morning.  I need to do a couple of touch ups, but given the number of multiple masking I did, I am very satistified with the end result of the paint job.  I used Tamiya Acrylics thinned with Mr. Color leveling thinner.  As always they sprayed very well and went down pretty smoothly; I'll only have to do some light buffing in preperation for the gloss coat.  

Ernest

IMG_4183

IMG_4184

IMG_4185

IMG_4186

This is the area that will need some touch up work.  I Also caused the fuselage join to pop apart a bit by squeezing too hard; fortunately I will be able to fix

it pretty easily.

IMG_4187

IMG_4189

There a few areas on the invasion markings that have some very minor imperfections that are not really noticable at normal viewing range.  Given how sloppy

the application of the invasion markings was on quite a few aircraft in real life, I am going to leave the markings as is.   

Edited by Greif8

On 5/9/2022 at 4:11 AM, Greif8 said:

Thank you Andy!  My daughter enjoys helping pick camo and decal schemes; and I enjoy seeing her happiness when a build she picked things out for is finished.  Sometimes that means a build is not 100% accurately marked, but that is not important in the greater scheme of things.  She also claims all builds she picked the colors/decals for; so I have an "Ani" display vitrine with those models in it.  She proudly shows visitors her models and can even tell them a bit about the background of each one.  It is a joy to watch.

Ernest

Thats awesome. Great that you keep her involved.

1 hour ago, mc65 said:

Wow! 
big advances, here!
the invasion strips are excellent, aren't you afraid that the decals let you glimpse these from below?

Thank you Paolo!  I home the decals Cover.  If they Do not I have some Makatar masks that I can use. 

Ernest 

12 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Thank you Andy!  I do enjoy the time spent with her at the bench. 

Ernest 

Raised 3 daughters of my own. It's so important to keep them involved in your life. Whatever that may be.

4 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Raised 3 daughters of my own. It's so important to keep them involved in your life. Whatever that may be.

Hi Andy, can't agree more.  Ani (Anastasia), is our adopted daughter; we have had her since birth.  I'll spare you the long story, but we started out as foster parents and have just completed the very long and involved (nearly 2.5 years) German adoption process.  My wife and I have two sons, 19 and 17 years old, and they have accepted Ani as their sister just as much as we look upon her as our daughter.  Ani is almost 7.5 years old and a joy to raise (hopefully that will continue through her teen years!).  We are raising her as we have our sons, who we also love deeply, and we feel very fortunate to be her parents.

Ernest   

On 5/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, MARU5137 said:

Ernest,

Commendable job bringing up your 3 daughters on your own and your young daughter's  choice is nice.

:thumbsup:

Welcome back .. Great job so far abd tge invasion stripes look AWESOME. 

:wow:   :bow:

Thank you Maru, though Andy is the one with three daughters; I only have one!  Also thank you much for the compliments on the build thus far.

Ernest