In With a Trumpeter P-51b

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Good work, Ernest! I have one of these in the stash, too, an am not really sure what to do with it. I'll build it some day, but maybe without much effort. Yours, on the other, is coming along nicely! Oh, and your styrene shims will work nicely for adding strength; it's something I do all the time, and will probably be doing again with Hasegawa kit.

Kev

Thank you for the kind words Kev!

Ernest

5 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Nice to see this kit being built, I also have one and an Aires cockpit in the stash, you might just have persuaded me to build it in this years build schedule.

I like Trumpeter kits and a nice relaxing build would be great.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis!  The kit is pretty decent build wise; it's inaccuracies are well know, and several of them are easy to fix.  Thus far I have not had any hair pulling issues crop up.  

Ernest

damn, what a bad thing, Ernest!

perhaps the problem lies in the coupling of the upper halves on the lower one. in any case now you are at stake like this, and you are solving well. the important thing is that the dihedral is symmetrical, the rest is ... putty!:goodjob:

Following are the results for my efforts to clean up the wing root area.  I was mostly successful, in fact the starboard wing root turned out excellently; I still need to do some work on the port wing though.

IMG_4157

The problem areas on the starboard wing were easy to fix.  Everything blended quite well.

IMG_4156

The port wing also turned out ok, though as you will see i still have a little work to do.

IMG_4158

Overhead shot of the port wing root.  Again it turned out decent, and I'll only need 5-10 minutes of work to get it right - or as right as my skill allows.

IMG_4160

Priming highlighted two spots needing improvement.  The photo above shows that I still need to fill and smooth out a small indented area.

IMG_4161

And this photo shows a small section of join that need rescribing.  Fortunately, the starboard wing turned out good enough that further work is not required/

IMG_4163

The lower join went together without me having to do any work at all.  You can see a tiny spot in the macro shot that I may or may not rescribe - you can't

at normal viewing range it looks just fine.

Ernest

8 hours ago, mc65 said:

damn, what a bad thing, Ernest!

perhaps the problem lies in the coupling of the upper halves on the lower one. in any case now you are at stake like this, and you are solving well. the important thing is that the dihedral is symmetrical, the rest is ... putty!:goodjob:

Hi Paolo, the fix was not too bad at all.  More importantly, I got the wing dihedral symmetrical.  (Whew!!!!)

Ernest

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get some work in on the build.  Most of it is not really photo worthy as it was a lot of cleaning up and priming small parts, as well as getting the clear parts ready to paint.  I finished the correction work on the wing roots and got them looking fairly decent.  The leading edges where the wing joins the fuselage were problem areas, but I got them filled and smoothed out to where the look presentable.  I'll post some overall shots once I buff the primer coat.

Ernest

IMG_4164

Should be interesting to see what this looks like after painting.

IMG_4167

This was the worse of the two, but I think it will look ok after buffing and painting. 

21 hours ago, mc65 said:

Welcome back, Ernest!

now it's my turn to be away from the bench for some days, take advantage of that and work on your kit!

;)

Hope you won't have to be gone as long as I was!

Ernest

I completed painting most of the smailler sub-assemblies such as the landing gear today and also buffed out the primer coat on the aircraft.  I did not take any photos of the several small sub-assemblies or individual parts as to be honest it would have been a waste of time photographing them in the state they are in, and it would likely have bored everyone.  The buffed primer coat turned out pretty good and I might be able to begin airbrushing some base colors on it this weekend.  Below are a few shots of it, still pretty boring, but perhaps not quite a bad as "And here is the landing gear painted aluminium"; followed by "The inner tail wheel doors painted interior green!" -_- 

Ernest

IMG_4168

Wing roots look ok, not perfect but I think they will be fine once the base coat and weathering is finished.

IMG_4170

The photos don't really show it, but the primer coat is now pretty smooth and I feel confident that the base colors will lay down well on it.

IMG_4171

The bottom smoothed out nicely as well.

Ernest, i'm impressed by all the fantastic work, either kit wise or adjusting with AM products on this trumpeter kit, but did you know about "aerocraftmodels" rear canopy correction set in clear resin. IMHO the trumpeter presentation on this particular part, being the upper fuselage between the two aft clear parts is too wide, and this correction set solves the "problem".....but i don't want to be a party pooper on your excellent build, but i only just found this correction set myself lately.

Anxious to see the completed model,

Viel Spaß,

Jack.

93rF1Kx.jpg

22 hours ago, Jack said:

Ernest, i'm impressed by all the fantastic work, either kit wise or adjusting with AM products on this trumpeter kit, but did you know about "aerocraftmodels" rear canopy correction set in clear resin. IMHO the trumpeter presentation on this particular part, being the upper fuselage between the two aft clear parts is too wide, and this correction set solves the "problem".....but i don't want to be a party pooper on your excellent build, but i only just found this correction set myself lately.

Anxious to see the completed model,

Viel Spaß,

Jack.

93rF1Kx.jpg

Thank you for the kinds words Jack.  I did look at the Aerocraft AM canopies, but opted to try to get the kit parts to work.  If I can't get a satisfactory fit, I do plan to buy a set.

Ernest

I started painting the airframe today, and also did a fair amount of painted small parts.  As some of you know, I often let my 7 year old daughter pick the camo/color and decal schemes for my builds.  This time she saw some decals that I had bought for a future build of a P-51D and fixated on the scheme called "Daddy Rabbit".  Explaining that that decal scheme is for a P-51D and not a P-51B went right over her head (unsurprisingly), and after looking at her disappointed face I thought, "What the heck, this is supposed to be a fun build anyway.", and told her I would make the "Rabbit Plane".  The joy in her face and her reaction more than made up for the fact that the build will not be marked incorrectly - though still in 8th AF scheme.  And, I can still build the future P-51D as the "Passion Wagon"; telling the wife the naked lady on the aircraft is based on her! :ph34r:

IMG_4172

This and the next couple of shots show the white areas I airbrushed as a start for the invasion markings.  I used Tamiya paints thinned with Mr. Color Leveling

Thinner and it shot very nicely as always.  I'll let it cure overnight and spray the black areas tomorrow - with luck, that is.

IMG_4173

IMG_4174

IMG_4175

A not very interesting shot of some of the priming and base painting of small parts.

IMG_4176

The inner landing gear doors after initial base painting.

IMG_4178

I am trying out a different figure painting technique for the uniform.  I primed the figure black and then oversprayed that with white spraying downwards from

above.  I will then use a wet palette to layer acrylic colors onto the uniform areas.  In theory, I should be able to achieve good color depth with subtle but noticable 

transitions.  We shall see how it works out.  I will be painting the flesh areas using my standard technique with oil paints.

IMG_4179

This is a Black Dog figure and this one was not one of the firm's better production efforts.  There were several air holes that I had to fill and one of the hands 

thumb and index finger were short cast.  It looks like I managed to correct the problems as the priming and white overspray did not show any areas that needed 

correction.

Ernest 

Great! This reminds me of a hellcat with the tiger stripes proposed by my son!:wub:

great advancing on the painting, too, go ahead!

I didn't know about the canopy set proposed by Jack, and now it's too late, darn! :BANGHEAD2: