Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

https://spruebrothers.com/rvg03838-1-32-revell-germany-p-51d-15-na-mustang-late-version/

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/world-war-ii/p-51d-mustang-late-version.html

According to Revell Germany the MSRP is 47.99 euros.  According to Sprue it's $66.00 USD.  The euro to USD exchange rate is 1.03.  Still think it will be less than $105 from Sprue?

1 hour ago, Steve C said:

https://spruebrothers.com/rvg03838-1-32-revell-germany-p-51d-15-na-mustang-late-version/

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/world-war-ii/p-51d-mustang-late-version.html

According to Revell Germany the MSRP is 47.99 euros.  According to Sprue it's $66.00 USD.  The euro to USD exchange rate is 1.03.  Still think it will be less than $105 from Sprue?

Euro to dollar has dropped a lot in the last year.  So not sure if that comparison works or not.  Anyway this is a kit tooled in asia by a new Leland company so not sure that comparison works either.  But Sprue Brothers is usually less, we will see.  But not sure time will tell.  We don't know what Kotare will charge sprue brothers for two thousand Spitfire kits.  I suspect their order will be in that range.

25 minutes ago, europapete said:

So, as Kotare are making the kit closed cowl, does anyone have an idea of how we can incorporate that Merlin growl?

I'm sure Eduard Brassin will come to the rescue for those that want to add a Merlin to their Kotare Spit. They make beautiful resin engines for kits that already have engines in them (like the Tamiya Mosquito, for example), and other engines for kits that don't have a detailed one included. I'd be very surprised if they don't kick the tires on that opportunity.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

19 hours ago, europapete said:

I am sure they will Dennis, and do it well. I was actually refering to the sound. I didn't make that clear, sorry. What I was thinking was some kind of sound module either in the nose or in a disply base. Would that be possible? 

https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/1-48th-Merlin-engine-Electric-engine-%26-Sound-p150046677

• 3 weeks later...

With every pending release there's always this excited wild speculation.  People are gauging the quality of this kit and offering opinions based on nothing more than 3D computer images.   We have no idea of the fit, accuracy of scale and details or quality of the plastic and decals.  Maybe it's fun to play that game, but I prefer to be patient and wait for the build reviews. 

9 hours ago, Randy said:

With every pending release there's always this excited wild speculation.  People are gauging the quality of this kit and offering opinions based on nothing more than 3D computer images.   We have no idea of the fit, accuracy of scale and details or quality of the plastic and decals.  Maybe it's fun to play that game, but I prefer to be patient and wait for the build reviews. 

Hi Randy,

You are correct about build reviews being the ultimate arbiter of a kit's quality regarding fit and finish (though not accuracy as a it can go together beautifully and still be an inaccurate shape). Given the experience of the team that have worked on the Spitfire is it fair to assume they know a thing or two about accuracy, fit and finish. Having trawled the previous pages that is what comes across rather than anyone saying it will definitively be fantastic. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought Kotare had published actual sprue shots on their Facebook page (sorry I am not a Facebook subscriber so don't know for sure). 

Best regards,
Paul

Edited by Archimedes
typos

16 hours ago, Randy said:

It is interesting when it comes to build reviews, my impression is most build reviews only talk about fit and finish, few dare to tread onto accuracy.  However, Kotare operators have a huge reputation for quality and accuracy in their work, so the expectations are very high for this kit.  I have one on pre-order and I have only pre-ordered one other kit, the original Tamiya Bird Cage Corsair.  I am fairly certain these guys will have this right to the best of reasonably ability of any expert on the spitfire attempting to tool a 1/32 kit of it.  Kotare may not have in house experts, but they have a reputation for doing the right research and work plus I have spent enough time dithering around Spitfire builds that I know are reasonably accurate 1/48 Tamiya MK I and 1/32 Mk IX, I know this kit looks right from what I am seeing.

Edited by cbk57

Hi All

I checked out some of the comments Kotare have been putting online regarding future plans. Here they are for your interest:

Q. Will there be a Spitfire Vb?

Richard Alexander: We've certainly designed it to accommodate future versions so it's almost certain a Mk.V would follow sometime in the future. Early Mk.Va/b needs a new oil cooler, cockpit sidewalls, instrument board, control column (Vb/Vc), seat, engine cowlings, spinner & airscrew, (for wooden blade Rotol), wings (Vb or Vc), canopy, wheels, undercarriage (Vc), tailplane (Vc). So, potentially quite a few extra parts, but nothing beyond our abilities. No promises though. Richard.

Q. Will Kotare stick to WWI Props?

Mark Robson (owner): At the start of this venture I sent Richard a list of over 80 subjects in 5 scales for him to consider. Interestingly, the Spitfire Mk 1 was not one of them! He has his own wish list so basically no modelling genre is off the table.

Q: Is a BoB Bf-109E also one of possible future releases, or is it complete no way when there are multiple Emil already out there (Eduard, Trumpeter, HGW...)?

RIchard Alexander: Wouldn't rule anything out for the future at this stage. The Spitfire does need something to shoot down.

Q. What about earlier Bf109: A/B/C/D?

Mark Robson: Noted.

Q. Do Kotare have plans for the next release be after the Spitfire Mk1a?

Richard Alexander: Absolutely! To be fair, it'd probably be reasonably disingenuous to suggest it would be anything other than some other sort of Spitfire. But after that.. We're not really saying. But hopefully whatever we do next after the Spitfire would be domething to compliment our first kitset. 

Q. Any chance of a Beaufighter in 1/32. Why nobody, apart from the old Revell offering, has done one is beyond belief.

Mark Robson: We love the Beaufighter! But it’s a biiiig project. Maybe in a little while when momentum builds

Q. have you considered a Siemens-Schuckert D.III/IV? The one model that WNW missed.

Kotare Models: An SSW D.III or D.IV is not in our immediate plans but who knows what the future holds. In the meantime, a very nice 1/32 D.III can be built from the nice Roden kitset with a little extra work.

I hope that answers some of the questions this group may have! I also noticed one guy asked about a series of McLaren cars in 1/24 and that certainly was not dismissed out of hand. Maybe a nice big M8B in orange….

Best regards,
Paul