Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

Given New Zealand's association with the various P-40 from the E onwards, both in WW2 and their present restoration efforts on these, I'd have thought that Kotare would have this plane high on their agenda.  And they'd be filling a gap in the market too.  Should sell like hot cakes.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I just hope they sell enough to continue with operations.  Spit 1, Hurri 1, 109E3 (shush you!) should be a good leap out of the gate.  I like/liked the idea of having a quality model company just across the Tasman.

No , in keeping with the pattern they'd have to start with the 109D. They did participate in early combat too.

Would that be OK with you Kev ?  :shrug:

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

No , in keeping with the pattern they'd have to start with the 109D. They did participate in early combat too.

Would that be OK with you Kev ?  :shrug:

If staying early war(ish) then a 190 A3 would be better. A nice new representation of a Butcher Bird would be greatly appreciated 

16 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Given New Zealand's association with the various P-40 from the E onwards, both in WW2 and their present restoration efforts on these, I'd have thought that Kotare would have this plane high on their agenda.  And they'd be filling a gap in the market too.  Should sell like hot cakes.

Cheers,

Michael

I disagree.  The BoB trilogy will always be more famous than anything else, if, simply for the reason that it is immortalized in film.  You aren't going to get orders from the world market with a niche model that will sell like hotcakes in NZ.  Decal sets for BoB aces would make all three sell even better. 

Thoughts…

21 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Cheers,

Michael

I agree Michael.  If they don’t I’ll use Hasegawa’s offering of the P-40E for Neville Duke’s aircraft which, despite the challenge the tail represents, Brian (Out2gtcha) has shown can be turned into an astonishing model. So I agree with Pete in RI.

As for a simple to build but accurate Butcher Bird; Is the still-available Hasegawa offering not tempting enough? For me a Mk1 ragwing Hurricane would be the perfect bookend to the Spitfire if early WWII is Kotare’s chosen space for now. I cannot say anyone has really done the definitive kit of this version.  The Messerschmitt Bf109 E3 is a crowded market to break into but there may be room for one more?  On reflection, outside of anything with a black cross on it the P-51B/C might be a good gap to fill in the pantheon of single engined fighters. 

Cheers

Paul

On 9/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, Gazzas said:

I just hope they sell enough to continue with operations.

I hope so, too, but you have to wonder if there's a market of reasonable proportions for a new kit with plastic parts that average a dollar a piece in cost. In digesting that comment, consider the fact that much of Tamiya's 1/32 catalog can be had for under $100, shipped free, from Japan. I'll likely buy one of Kotare's new kits, because the 1a is my favorite mark of Spitfire. However, I suspect that a lot of modelers will go with less expensive alternatives, of whatever subject, when they have to chose between purchasing this new offering and heating their homes.

1 hour ago, ivanmoe said:

I hope so, too, but you have to wonder if there's a market of reasonable proportions for a new kit with plastic parts that average a dollar a piece in cost. In digesting that comment, consider the fact that much of Tamiya's 1/32 catalog can be had for under $100, shipped free, from Japan. I'll likely buy one of Kotare's new kits, because the 1a is my favorite mark of Spitfire. However, I suspect that a lot of modelers will go with less expensive alternatives, of whatever subject, when they have to chose between purchasing this new offering and heating their homes.

Alas, this is only true in your part of the world. In Europe, you can generally multiply by 1.5.<_<

13 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Thread drift........

Well true! But, as GazzaS and others have said; I hope they sell enough to keep their company going. So, in addition to the Spitfire Mk1a (which I am certain will be a great revenue earner), I hope they do all of the other cash-cows first to put them on a sound financial footing. I’ve put my money where my mouth is and pre-ordered a Spitfire Mk1a.  I’m now working out which markings I want on it. 

Best regards,

Paul 

On 10/2/2022 at 5:04 AM, Gazzas said:

I disagree.  The BoB trilogy will always be more famous than anything else, if, simply for the reason that it is immortalized in film.  You aren't going to get orders from the world market with a niche model that will sell like hotcakes in NZ.  Decal sets for BoB aces would make all three sell even better. 

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.  Perhaps I should have been clearer as I'm simply saying there's something else outside the BoB fighters as well.  A decent Emil would be great as the best kit presently available is the H2K kit which has a poor record in supplying correct parts (wheel wells etc) and a very poorly fitting gun cowling.  A good Hurricane in 1/32 scale would be very welcome too, as others have pointed out.  If Kotare wanted to be ambitious, how about a Bf-110 or JU-87??  When was the last time you saw a Dornier Do-17 in 1/32 scale too?  All of these would go down well and fill a niche, with the possible exception of the Bf-110, as the Dragon model looks good.

Whatever Kotare decide to do in the future, however, I just hope they're not as selective as Sir PJ was with WNW models, as they never did any of the French WW1 biplanes.  I wish them much success and look forward to a good range of kits.

Cheers,

Michael