Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The Tamiya Mk IX with engine retails for more than this kit.  They are not so expensive used but retail on the Tamiya Mk ix in the US is $185.00 having built three I have never spent that much on one though.  Usually 75 to 80 pre owned.

Ebay has the Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 8, 9 and 16 presently selling for between $75.00 and a little over $100.00 all over ebay, unopened and brand new.  There are a few listings higher than that, but one only need be selective in buying.

Edited by esarmstrong

For those of you who prefer to paint your markings but don't have a craft cutter, TopNotch Masks has you covered:

https://topnotchmasks.com/shop/camo-masks/spitfire-mk-ia-dw-k/

https://topnotchmasks.com/shop/insignia/spitfire-mk-ia-dw-k-2/

They have really expanded their range of offerings as well, including multiple Spitfire choices: https://topnotchmasks.com/shop/

Cheers,  Tom

I really wish Kotare much success on their sales of the Spitfire Mk I! It appears to be a superb kit and I can only hope that they produce an accurate Mk VB in the future! Many of us (I'm sure) have pined for a mid-war Spitfire to replace the venerable Hasegawa kit that while generally accurate, is clearly in need of serious work in order to bring it up to a standard near what the industry is beginning to churn out ( Revell, Tamiya, etc). 

For those of you chaps who get the Kotare boxing, I am looking forward to seeing your builds on LSP.

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

You see in the parts break down additional sub parts that are designed at the minimum to eliminate panel lines.  

I'm just in the middle of building the old Matchbox F24 spit - last time I did that Thatcher and Reagan where playing as a duo. I'd completely forgotten what that kit was like until this week, panel lines are the deepest and widest I've ever seen !  Anyway, back on topic, I did note that it uses the same wing connection panels. I'm 1 million percent certain that will be the only similarity (ignoring the fact it's made of plastic, needs to be built & painted and they are both sexy spits !!).

2 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

Ebay has the Tamiya Spitfire Mk. 8, 9 and 16 presently selling for between $75.00 and a little over $100.00 all over ebay, unopened and brand new.  There are a few listings higher than that, but one only need be selective in buying.

I am making a comparison of retail cost of the Tamiya kit with an engine to the retail price of the Kotare kit without an engine.  I did acknowledge and state that I have never spent retail price on a Tamiya spit and have built three of them.  This point was to address the relative cost at retail of a high quality kit with engine detail and a high quality new kit without engine detail that retails for less money.  

My source for price is Tamiya U.S.A.S. website ebay is irrelevant is this was a comparison of retail prices and you cannot buy Kotares spitfire at a discount from retail right now.  5 years from now maybe you can buy the Kotare kit on ebay for $75.00 or less but that does not matter right now.

Edited by cbk57

15 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Well I had to do it, on back order at Hannants despite being a tad over budget, well it is a Spitfire after all.

I just did the same, I was going to resist as that's over a months modelling budget for me and I already have 5 early Revell Spits built. However, I want Kotare to produce more and varied kits and they will only do that if these sell well. Also looking to get the Southern Expo Hornchurch decals mentioned in this thread, one of the HE111's shot down by Malan crashed about a mile from where I live and it's got a sky blue underside rather than sky so will add something different to my collection. Now just need to tell the wife I need to dip into the housekeeping pot - gulp !!!

Pre-ordering 3201 from Kotare, I selected 'United Kingdom' from the drop down address system, put in my Isle of Man home address and could proceed no further. Richard Alexander offered help. Still stuck. A few days later I noticed 'Isle of Man' in the drop down address system. Duh . . . I selected it. All was well, pre-order placed, with apologies to Richard.

This morning, that fine gentleman double checked the delivery address on my order. So, Kotare are respectable already and may exceed my high expectations. Roll on Christmas.

It looks a lot like a Spitfire to me, would like more detail shots of the sprues.  I emailed Fundekals, to see if they are updating their stuff for this and they are.  Their 1/32 sheets they said are off to the printer already.  So around the time this comes out there should be a lot of 1/32 decal options.  

In my opinion right now, this kit is going to set a new bar in 1/32 high enough to make even me forget about Tamiya 1/32.  Just looking at their photos on the site, I think we are going to have something really special here.  We also have the promise of a whole series of at least early Spitfires.  I am not sure that matters to me, I don:t know right now if I care about anything between BOB and the Mk IX.  

For years i have thought that the optimal solution for 1/32 was the pursuit of an outstanding exterior, along with an amazing cockpit, an engine is not strictly needed and not entirely desirable.  I love the Tamiya kits and their magnet solution to Engines but having built 9 of them, I would be quite happy with a fabulous exterior and great cockpit and skipping the engine on some kits.

Edited by cbk57