Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

This looks like a great kit, and perhaps a must have, given the kit makers provenance.  Just one disappointment - no engine.  Hopefully the aftermarket comes to my rescue here, such as Eduard with their resin/etch addons.  I haven't built a 1/32 early Spitfire in decades!!

Also glad to hear that a MkXIV (high back, please) is on their radar.  Likely this also won't have an engine, but again, maybe the aftermarket will fill that shortcoming.  Doubly so as there's no good LSP Griffon engine Spitfire so also no Griffon too.

Cheers,

Michael

8 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually PCM released a quite good Mk.XIV.

True enough, but it's not around any more.  I think Kotare will run rings around the PCM kit too.

One thing I should have said is that I hope there will be other things on offer from Kotare between Spitfire releases.  New Zealand also has history with the P-40 and F4U too so that would also be a good place for them to start.

Cheers,

Michael

7 hours ago, Robthepom said:

I just love a flying spitfire, wheels up and banking. no engine required:rolleyes:

If peeps yearn for a non functional plastic engine they can get the latest Zoukei-Mura: the kit's Daimler-Benz engine is made up from over sixty parts. Rather you than me!

---------

I tried to find a Pacific Coast Spitty XIV without success. Might get to see the Kotare one, which will be super. I am anticipating WnW quality: Tamiya fit but with more accurate surface texture.

Tony 

20 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Just one disappointment - no engine.

One of their stated goals was to keep the cost down as not to frighten away non-LSPers.

Cockpit looks nicely detailed so they're likely leaving out things that can't be seen when finished.

Getting an engine in there doesn't look like an easy job.

UaojzS4.png

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

One of their stated goals was to keep the cost down as not to frighten away non-LSPers.

Cockpit looks nicely detailed so they're likely leaving out things that can't be seen when finished.

UaojzS4.png

Yep, and they stated that they want to make kits appealing to a wide age-range of builders, including very young ones. Allowing that there are prodigies out there, building and painting highly detailed engine assemblies is usually not kids stuff, and it can be a mojo-killer for the experienced even when everything works. 

Can’t wait to see the test shots for this one.

Cheers,

Adam

On 3/19/2022 at 10:20 PM, Dpgsbody55 said:

One thing I should have said is that I hope there will be other things on offer from Kotare between Spitfire releases.  New Zealand also has history with the P-40 and F4U too so that would also be a good place for them to start.

That's my hope - a range of P-40s (with RNZAF markings) would be amazing.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:29 AM, Tony T said:

If peeps yearn for a non functional plastic engine they can get the latest Zoukei-Mura: the kit's Daimler-Benz engine is made up from over sixty parts. Rather you than me!

---------

I tried to find a Pacific Coast Spitty XIV without success. Might get to see the Kotare one, which will be super. I am anticipating WnW quality: Tamiya fit but with more accurate surface texture.

Tony 

Just made two DB-603's from Z-M's Dornier 335A-12 and I have to say they were quite easy to put together and highly detailed too.  Looking forward to their BF-109 arriving on my doorstep too.  I'm one who likes to have an engine to build in this scale as I'm as interested in the engines that powered WW2 planes as the planes themselves.  Each to their own, and the Kotare Spitfire does look like a beauty, but I'm hoping that the after market will step in to fill that gap.

Cheers,

Michael

On 3/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, MikeMaben said:

Oh, I don't know.  Trumpeter managed it with their 1/24 Hurricane.  They just fitted a 1/32 scale engine instead!!  :lol:  Same sort of thing when they fitted a 1/48 Packard Merlin to their 1/23 P/51B.

Cheers,

Michael

13 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

That's my hope - a range of P-40s (with RNZAF markings) would be amazing.

A Strikemaster would be right up my alley, but I’m happy enough to see the Spit sell like hotcakes so they can fund whatever they develop next.