Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

9 hours ago, npb748r said:

I'm no expert on the spit and I don't want to sound negative, my only experience if the revell spit. Are the panel on the aft fuselage that different in terms of depth variation ? I'm not saying this to knock the model I'm asking out of pure interest. It could be the pictures but I was surprised at how visually different the panel depths are ?   

I guess you are referring to the raised rivets on the fuselage?  If so it's 100% accurate.  The early marks had raised rivets (Revell has them represented as holes which is wrong).

Oh boy! Looks like I'm gonna be building Spitfires until the day I die.

So much detail and so much that you won't see once it's buttoned up! I can't wait, preorder is in.

Looking forward to the early version with a two bladed prop and flat canopy and large 19 on the fin. Luverly.

9 hours ago, tomp. said:

It would make sense to do a Mk 5a, as it very similar to the Mk 1a. This is also what what Bader was flying when shot down. Note the box artwork.

saw on facebook that Va is up next, they apparently showed box art at Telford. 

this bodes well for other marks. hope someone (ideally Kotare themselves, i very much trust Mr Alexander's research) will drop an aftermarket engine. engines are like 'interior kit' tanks, very niche, most people can do without the added expense. but the ones who want 'em REALLY want 'em. 

14 hours ago, Steve C said:

I guess you are referring to the raised rivets on the fuselage?  If so it's 100% accurate.  The early marks had raised rivets (Revell has them represented as holes which is wrong).

not the rivets but the panels - the join of the top spine, the radio (?) compartment that's slightly sunk. But it's been pointed out that this isn't the kit itself so I assume these will be corrected on the released kit or they are a true representation of the actual plane.  

When Richard reeled off all of the changes needed for a MkV I got the feeling one would feature in their release schedule and so it has proved.  The early MkI makes sense because that will enable 19 Squadron Spitfires (the first equipped) to be modelled easily.  

That the following release would be a Va was a surprise to me but again makes sense: it uses the 'A' Wing and buys Kotare time to do a 'B' wing for what was the main production version of the MkV; the Vb.

But what these two further Spitfire variants buy Kotare time to do is the next airframe they will attempt whatever that may be. On a straw-poll of one (me) their strategy makes total sense. I wish them every success.

Best regards,

Paul

3 hours ago, npb748r said:

not the rivets but the panels - the join of the top spine, the radio (?) compartment that's slightly sunk. But it's been pointed out that this isn't the kit itself so I assume these will be corrected on the released kit or they are a true representation of the actual plane.  

Note that the radio panel is a separate part from the fuselage half.  So the depth will be determined by each modeler.  The same is true for the top of the spine (separate part).  

2022-11-12-13-12-51.jpg

Edited by Steve C