Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

9 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Well, I was just able to pre-order my kit with shipping under $30 to me here in the East Coast of the USA.  IF you're interested (and know there's a lot of us who are) here's the link to the pre-order page: Kotare Spitfire I Mid Pre-Order Web Page.

I preordered as well. Economy shipping to the West coast is just under $25.

Looking more closely at both of the pictures of FZ-L you can make out the plane's serial number K9906.  The picture I posted is clearer and it may be that the 5 character number on the tail fin is this same serial number.  Whether the number was painted over in service or scrubbed out by the official censor I have no idea.

Incidentally, consulting my books again, I find that K9906 had  quite a long life.  It was first flown on 21st Marck 1939, issued to 65 Squadronj on 24th March 1939, then moved to 64 Squadron on 17th April 1940.  Next, it went to 7 OTU on 11th October 1940 then withdrawn on 18th October 1941 for conversion to PRIII standard and issued to 1 PRU at Benson.  On 26th February 1942 it suffered a category E flying accident and subsequently repaired.  On 18th March it was issued to 8 OTU before beingf sent to Scottish Aviation on 29th November 1942.  It seems that by late May 1943 it was on Royal Navy stocks, but was struck off charge almost immediately.

At the time this picture was taken, the paint scheme on Spitfires was fairly standard.  IE; green and dark earth disruptive camouflage on the upper surfaces and aluminium lower surfaces.  By the time of Dunkirk, lower surfaces were usually Sky Type S, though Supermarine's interpretation of that colour was usually a more blue shade than any other's.  As you say, during the Battle of France, a lot of ideas were tried out to aid aircraft recognition, and given the individual unit variations, the period is very confusing for us modellers.  Many such variations were still about during the Battle of Britain, so more confusion.  Tuck's Hurricane V6864 (257 Squadron) still had port black/starboard white lower wings in November 1940.

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, Tissue and Dope said:

To the UK at $109 USD ex-works direct from Kotare, plus shipping, plus 20% at the present

mini-pound exchange rate, must be getting on for almost £140 ………. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hopefully not so as my limit is £100 for kits, I could stretch it a bit but not a lot especially with 200 kits in the stash already.

Cheers

Dennis

I was going to pre order a couple of them from Kotare directly but the shipping and taxes made it not so cost effective. No complaints, tax is what it is and a fact of purchasing from abroad. So I’ve put a couple on back order with Hannants instead. No price listed there yet but easy enough to cancel if they are too pricey when announced.

4 hours ago, Tissue and Dope said:

To the UK at $109 USD ex-works direct from Kotare, plus shipping, plus 20% at the present

mini-pound exchange rate, must be getting on for almost £140 ………. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

It worked out at £147.34 this morning.  Rather more than I was anticipating.  I have put one on backorder with Hannants instead which will hopefully work out a bit cheaper. 

This to me is why it does not matter if Tamiya does a new LSP in any particular time frame or not.  Kotare is going to do a definitive Spitfire and if you want an engine you will be able to add it.  I put down my preorder, got a email from Kotare last night that i could place an order, I thought it over for a hour and dropped my order.  I just ordered 1.  I normally do not preorder kits but I want to see these guys off to a good start.  

Great Wall Hawk 81

Zoukei BF-109G series all in one box almost

Kotare Spitfire Mk I.

For me modeling life is pretty good.

Edited by cbk57