Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

this is just going to be awesome

and whoever was "sad" at the price tag, what on earth were you expecting? A tamiya quality (and perhaps more) kit for the price of a Revell kit?? :doh:

This $109.00 price tag is nearly $40 to $50 more than the Revell Spitfire Mk.II.  But more significantly, it is nearly $15.00 more than what one can purchase the new super-detailed ZM Bf.109G-14 from sprue bros..  And you get a super detailed engine with that kit, too.  Two months ago I paid $105 for the new uber-detailed GW Curtiss Hawk H.81a, with an engine that is a separate model in and unto itself.  With no detail north of the firewall under the hood, I would expect a better price than the $109 that has been floated out thus far.  Regarding the idea that this kit is "Tamiya quality", have you seen sprues of this model yet?  I also recall all Tamiya 1/32 single-engine aircraft to feature an engine, too and for a price that is at least competitive or better.

Edited by esarmstrong

37 minutes ago, esarmstrong said:

This $109.00 price tag is nearly $40 to $50 more than the Revell Spitfire Mk.II.  But more significantly, it is nearly $15.00 more than what one can purchase the new super-detailed ZM Bf.109G-14 from sprue bros..  And you get a super detailed engine with that kit, too.  Two months ago I paid $105 for the new uber-detailed GW Curtiss Hawk H.81a, with an engine that is a separate model in and unto itself.  With no detail north of the firewall under the hood, I would expect a better price than the $109 that has been floated out thus far.  Regarding the idea that this kit is "Tamiya quality", have you seen sprues of this model yet?  I also recall all Tamiya 1/32 single-engine aircraft to feature an engine, too and for a price that is at least competitive or better.

Hope I’m wrong, but I suspect that a lot of items purchased with Western currencies are gonna carry a higher price tag than in the past, perhaps prohibitively so for many buyers.

1 hour ago, ivanmoe said:

Hope I’m wrong, but I suspect that a lot of items purchased with Western currencies are gonna carry a higher price tag than in the past, perhaps prohibitively so for many buyers.

I hope you're wrong, but the US dollar has been strong recently and might be due for a change.

2 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

You didn’t get that GWH Hawk 81 for $105 from a US seller, unless it was on a very special sale.  Scalehobbyist has it for $175, and most other US sellers are close to $200, with MSRP over $200.  Except for sales, like Tamiya USA selling some kits for only $99, the current street prices for the Tamiya P-51 and Corsair kits are around $150, with MSRP of closer to $200.  The mentioned $109 is likely the MSRP, and comparing that price to the street price of something that you can get on sale, or shipped from Chinese or other overseas sellers isn’t quite fair.  Maybe Kotare will be like ZM and set the same fixed price for everyone, or maybe not.  We’ll have to wait and see, but prices for new kits are definitely going to be higher that they were a couple of years ago.

13 hours ago, npb748r said:

Instructions look really good, I'm not familiar with WNW kits, assume from the comments that these are similar.  For me I think I'll wait and see what some of the online builds are like. I really like building the Revell spitfire kits and I'm not sure that this new kit offers me anything more than I can get from a Revell kit (based purely on the instructions so I'm thinking this with caution). I guess like other people I have to juggle my buying decision based on how many more early Mark Spits I need to build and what other kits I want that I could spend the money on. Trouble with only building 1/32 scale, even small aircraft take up room and space is now a premium. Plus I have a load of kits in my stash that I want to build.  My only nagging feeling is that I want this company to produce more previously unreleased 1/32 kits and the only way they will do that is if they sell this one so I might buy for that reason alone, providing the price isn't to high.  At the price point mentioned above that's a months pocket money for me gone in a single kit. 

This very well describes my thoughts on the matter. Well said sir.

Goodness:blink:

What a fabulous looking cockpit and wheel bays. If the instructions are anything to go by those areas may just be the most detailled of any Spitfire model so far.:hmmm:

Interesting to see the guides for rigging the controls too. I guess rigging is second nature to these creators though. ^_^

Has anyone seen whether they are including "stressed skin/oil canning" surface detail in the same way they started on their Lancaster? If so I believe all of my Spitfire wishes have come true! :lol:

I've seen some comments lamenting the lack of an engine but Kotare do appear to have modelled the nose of the aircraft with separate cowling panels. Surely some enterprising aftermarket company will release an engine? In truth the lack of the engine is less of a concern for this particular kit assembler as it helps towards keeping the price point manageable.;)

It's been quite a while since I treated myself to a plastic model kit(set) so perhaps I'll start saving for one of these. 

Thanks for sharing the link to the instructions, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I really...   and I mean REALLY...   love the way they handled the dorsal seam.  This just might have to be my second spitfire model, ever.

It's a fantastic approach if it works   If not, you'll have seams to be addressed at 10 and 2 o'clock.  We'll see how it works out. 

12 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

This $109.00 price tag is nearly $40 to $50 more than the Revell Spitfire Mk.II...  

you could spend $75 on aftermarket on the Revell kit and it still won't even be close to this.

I've built the Revell kit and in a world where there are no other new tool Spit Mk Is or IIs, it's still only just about 'ok'.

if you don't want it then of course don't buy it, but I think your concerns as to its value proposition compared to Revell Spit, Z-m Bf109 and GWH P-40 don't stack up very well.

13 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

As far as I'm aware, Tamiya never did a 1:32 early Mark Spitfire.

I was generalizing and goofing around. This question is already on the table despite the kit still being in a development state. Nevertheless,  we all know the answer.  WNW guys are going to kill it, modern Spitfire kit I've been waiting for decades.