Oooooold Revell P-51B

denders

Hey guys, I've not really done any major re-scribing, as in the whole model. I'm assuming it's easier to do the fuselage before the halves are joined.

Also, this thing has cloth texturing on the rudder, I thought P-51s had all metal control surfaces. I guess something else to sand. :hmmm:

Thanks.

Edited by denders

Yep, it's definitely easier to rescribe the major components before they're joined, but you run the risk of not having the panel lines meet at the joins, so you have to add that as a consideration when choosing your approach. In theory, if you mark everything out with a pencil, and then follow those lines exactly, it shouldn't be a problem. But that's not as easy as it sounds!

As for the control surfaces, I'm pretty sure the rudders on P-51s were fabric covered (perhaps not the H), but the texture shouldn't really be visible in 1/32 scale anyway. Happy to be corrected!

Kev

On 4/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Yep, it's definitely easier to rescribe the major components before they're joined, but you run the risk of not having the panel lines meet at the joins,

Kev

Even the mold makers couldn't get it the panel lines to meet at the joints. :hmmm::doh::D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update. I scribed the panel lines along the raised panel lines on the kit plastic then sanded off the panel lines and rivets. Rivets are put back on the fin.

uPCSsO.jpg

I'm working on fixing some sink marks and I need to add the PE insert at the nose. Then I'll work on putting all the rivets back. Then I'll have the other fuselage half to do.

Getting ready to prime the interior. The PE set is 'old school' with the film instruments, so, certain parts have to be painted first and then the back of the film painted white before completion.

jWHCnm.jpg

Slowly but surely. I had to clean off part of the model desk for Tuesday. We had our younger grandson (2 yr), he likes to sit up at my model desk and 'fix' his little diecast airplanes. :lol: Of course, he likes tools and will 'fix' anything including the Tonka type trucks he plays with in the garden. He even brought some of his tools along. :lol:One of his electronic type toys came along because he had faith that I could fix it. And yes, I got hugs and joy because I did fix it. :yahoo:

Edited by denders

Nice progress!  I hear you about being the "go to guy" when it comes to fixing things - as well as the good feeling that the joy of others can bring when you actually fix the broken item.  My little girl once broke the porcelain head of an old doll that had belonged to my wife's grandmother.  I managed to repair and paint it to look as it had before; much to the happiness of both my girls.  I never imagined I would one day be modelling a dool's head in this hobby, but there you go!

Ernest