Oooooold Revell P-51B

denders

5 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Interesting - I thought this kit debuted earlier than that.

Kev

I thought so too; I'm pretty sure I remember this in my local model shop in the 1970s.

Edit: yep, Scalemates.com  gives it as 1971 https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=mustang&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00032"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Revell"

Edited by MikeC

26 minutes ago, MikeC said:

I thought so too; I'm pretty sure I remember this in my local model shop in the 1970s.

Edit: yep, Scalemates.com  gives it as 1971 https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=mustang&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00032"&fkCOMPNAME[]="Revell"

While I wouldn't take anything on Scalemates as gospel (lots of poor info on there), they list the following kit as a 1969 release:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-295-mustang-north-american-p-51b--192347

Either way, Revell clearly updated the tooling in 1980 to include a copyright stamp. I'll have to check my kit to see if it has one!

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update. Working on all the interior assemblies, getting them to fit in the fuselage and be able to close it up. I still need to work in the tail wheel. I had purchased a set of AM wheels and the AM tail wheel doesn't look good on the tail gear with the way the kit part is made. I'm mulling over creating a new tail gear using brass tube and wire. Should be interesting.

The left side console is a bit mangled. :blowup:While filing along the plastic edge below it, the file slipped and beat the crap out of it. The elevator trim control is somewhere in the carpet. I'm not really happy with its present appearance so I think I'll work on it too. I've also managed to tear off one of the throttle quadrant controls and lost it too.:BANGHEAD2:

90VRcp.jpg

Edited by denders

On 6/13/2022 at 8:11 AM, denders said:

An update. Working on all the interior assemblies, getting them to fit in the fuselage and be able to close it up. I still need to work in the tail wheel. I had purchased a set of AM wheels and the AM tail wheel doesn't look good on the tail gear with the way the kit part is made. I'm mulling over creating a new tail gear using brass tube and wire. Should be interesting.

The left side console is a bit mangled. :blowup:While filing along the plastic edge below it, the file slipped and beat the crap out of it. The elevator trim control is somewhere in the carpet. I'm not really happy with its present appearance so I think I'll work on it too. I've also managed to tear off one of the throttle quadrant controls and lost it too.:BANGHEAD2:

90VRcp.jpg

I did pretty much the same thing more than once on my jug. Still trying to figure out what to do for the gun sight that got ate by the carpet monster...

Edited by Ayovan

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, the fuselage is closed up and the wings are together. The fit of the wings to the fuselage seems like it's pretty good and won't require too much putty.

Thanks again Rick Griewski for the AM propeller blades! They look so much better!

yKptIN.jpg

There's a tiny bit of putty work at the nose to do and a coat of primer to see what else shows up.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...