Oooooold Revell P-51B

denders

When this GB was part of the selections last fall I figured that I'd pull this one from my stash and use it. It was either this or an equal vintage P-47 Razorback. The AM was in the stash too. I'll have to figure out what markings I'll use, perhaps the included decals. I'll also have to figure out whether that particular gun sight is correct. It may be a bit 'til I start, I want to finish the 105G first. Looks like I'll need lots of sand paper for the rivets. :whistle: As I'm typing, I'm thinking that I'll use at least the Bee from the decals and do Beeson's aircraft. I can make masks for the markings. Years ago I did a 1/48 build of Beeson's Razorback P-47.

ywXpFI.jpg

Starting my research and a couple of questions have come up.

1. Would the wings on a 'B' have had the rivets, etc. filled?

2. Osprey 'Aircraft of the Aces' #1 has Beeson's aircraft marked as QP-B. The decals in the kit are QP-M.

Guess I need to dig further.

Edit: I just looked at the Detail and Scale comments about this kit. Not much in the way of good comments. :hmmm:

Edited by denders

2 hours ago, denders said:

1. Would the wings on a 'B' have had the rivets, etc. filled?

Yes, and for the same reason as on the D.

I can't answer your other question atm, but I'll come back later if I can.

Thanks Mike. I figured the case for filled in panel lines and rivets. I've found photos on line that show a P-47 as QP-B. There's at least one photo that shows QP-??? as a Mustang. There's artwork as QP-B and QP-M and there's a Warbird P-51C that's painted as QP-B.

I've never been a great fan of the P-51 so my library is limited on what I have at hand. But there's at lease a squadron book or two that I haven't checked yet. I don't have anything that is 4th FG specific.

Okay, well doing some more searching about the 4th FG, I found a photo of QP-B that was noted as Beeson's aircraft. It doesn't have the bee on it yet but the attached notes on the photo mentioned that it was added later. There's a period color photograph which doesn't show the letter 'B' but that photo is noted that the aircraft is QP-B. It has the Boise Bee on it.

I'm not sure where QP-M comes from. I also found a photo of a P-51B/C marked QP-M and a P-51D that is marked QP-M but they both have the name 'Meg'.

There's a photo of Beeson inspecting the tail of QP-B after being hit by flak. Do you suppose he was assigned an aircraft marked QP-M after the flak damage. I didn't see any photos that would would confirm that.

14 hours ago, denders said:

Osprey 'Aircraft of the Aces' #1 has Beeson's aircraft marked as QP-B. The decals in the kit are QP-M.

Have you tried Little Friends?  This shows it as 43-6819 QP*B.  Have a look at http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/4th-fighter-group/  and search on "Beeson" in the  register and gallery: they have a colour photo of his P-51B too, is that the one you found?  (Although most of the photos are of his P-47).

Edited by MikeC

Incidentally, for a bit of background, here's a fun fact: RAF Debden, home of the 4th FG, features in the film The Dirty Dozen as the parachute school commanded by Robert Ryan's Col Breeds.  If you look carefully in one of the  inspection scenes you can see an Air Cadet glider (614 Gliding School) in the circuit.

13 hours ago, denders said:

Do you suppose he was assigned an aircraft marked QP-M after the flak damage. I didn't see any photos that would would confirm that.

It's quite likely he would have flown other aircraft when his own was unavailable.  It would not necessarily have been permanently assigned to him. Pilots would often fly aircraft other than their own.

Thanks Maru, I picked that one up last night. Reading it now, I haven't paged forward to the artwork yet, (kindle version) I thought I'd read through it first.

Thanks Mike, I understand that they didn't always fly 'their' aircraft but the kit decals and at least one artwork out there has the 'Boise Bee' painted on QP-M.

I think the choice is to use the 'Boise Bee' decal from the kit and mask and paint the other markings.

109ace had a resin set for this kit but I don't see anything on ebay. I've PM'd him here to see if he's still casting parts.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:35 AM, MikeC said:

Have you tried Little Friends?  This shows it as 43-6819 QP*B.  Have a look at http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/4th-fighter-group/  and search on "Beeson" in the  register and gallery: they have a colour photo of his P-51B too, is that the one you found?  (Although most of the photos are of his P-47).

Mike,

Yup, that is the same color photo. The decals also have it as 36815 instead of 36819. I guess if they were using the photo of him inspecting the damage to the tail of the aircraft they might make that mistake.

Copyright on the box and the instructions is 1993. I guess someone missed something

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for checking Maru. I haven't quite finished off the Thud yet. I have been collecting some other AM parts that I'm going to try and use (they're not specifically for this kit.) I've had a look at some of the parts, I noticed that the wind screen is going to be a bit of a challenge too.

It seems rather brittle. There was a small flake sort of piece that was hanging on by a hair. Hopefully the small amount of Tamiya glue I used will hold it in place.

The Thud is almost done and I've added AM exhausts and wheels to the pile. The exhausts that are molded as part of the engine don't very good, I bought a set for the Trumpeter kit that look like I can adapt.