Made some major progress on the build. Taking me far longer than I thought it would, as it seems every step I take has to be preceded by a few others just to get it looking right, and trying to get it to fit/blend properly.
I've used filler on some areas I thought wouldn't need it, and none on some I would!!:lol:

But....she's starting to look like a Hurricane at least!
0UdBP4.jpg

go04fn.jpg

The aerial mast has been drilled into and a piece of .3mm brass wire added for strengthening - it's just press-fitted into it's corresponding drilled hole in the fuselage.
I have to SB an a/coll light just forward of it, no such luck that was provided with the kit....

o5JthQ.jpg

The cannon fairings have been epoxied into the wings - quite a feat trying to get them all lined up correctly. Not perfect, but good enough. The barrels are just press fitted into the fairings, I'll sort those out at the final step stage.

hZk2Xc.jpg

SFnivK.jpg
The business end. Quite happy in the end as to how my gluing sequence worked out to alleviate any wonky dihedral issues that might have reared their head.

zjKjFT.jpg

The rudder and elevators are just held in place by brass pins I popped in. There were no locating tabs whatsoever!!! Antenna post is SB from brass.

TO8P7F.jpg

Quite a bit of work involved in getting the spinner to fit into the spinner plate area. You can see where I had to remove plastic to make the plate area deep enough, plus  sanding the spinner/backing plate. The ring around the forward section was thinned out quite considerably as well. Popped in some magnets.
The blades are not permanently attached yet.

EhvNje.jpg

I like that Fly supplied etched brass strengthening strips for the undersides Less filling! Hides the underside wing join perfectly!

eeES7M.jpg
And lastly for this update....my nemesis.....vac-formed canopy parts. It took me ages just to pick up the courage to make the first cut :evil_laugh:. LOTS of sanding, cutting, sanding.......but in the end, I managed to get it done. The supplied canopy/windscreen were just way too thick to be even feasible, unless building a closed cockpit.
I've ended up polishing the vac-form bits 3 times already, but unfortunately can't seem to get rid of all the micro-scratches. However once the framing is painted, they should  look OK. There is a very small inclusion in the front windscreen (made during manufacture I think) that I can't polish out. It is what it is I suppose!

Cheers
Iain

Great update.  Nice work.

'-quite a feat trying to get them all lined up correctly.'

I bet.

''Popped in some magnets.'

Great idea!

''vac-formed canopy parts.'

Who make them?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

13 hours ago, Scale32 said:

Hi lain would a dip in future help get rid of the micro scratches? 

Cheers Bevan 

@Scale32 it would, but it's nigh impossible getting our hands on any Future down here in NZ, even the rebranded stuff.....I've tried many other options including branded clear dips for modelling, but have had less than stellar results from all of them....

11 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great update.  Nice work.

'-quite a feat trying to get them all lined up correctly.'

I bet.

''Popped in some magnets.'

Great idea!

''vac-formed canopy parts.'

Who make them?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

@dodgem37 Thank you! I actually used my wire bending jig from UMM-USA to help me :lol: Luckily, one of the steps on the jig was just wide enough to fit into the openings in the fairings, so it was a matter of opening it up to the correct width, jamming them on, sliding them in, then just doing small adjustments while the epoxy was setting!

The vac-form canopy is from Fly themselves. Ordered it when I ordered the kit, had read beforehand in reviews the canopy was dodgy and vac-form was the way to go...

• 4 weeks later...

I've eventually got around to painting the windscreen and canopy and attaching the windscreen to the fuselage. I tried multiple times using either white glue/Future-ish suff to get the armoured screen to adhere to the inside of the windscreen, but to no avail. It's a problem of using the kit clear acetate against the vac-formed part with no mounting points to speak of at all. I might have a work-around at the end of the build, but if that fails I'll just have to do without it.

Anyhow, here are the vac-formed parts all nicely masked before painting. HUGE difference in thickness to the original kit parts...
k0ZpBZ.jpg

Next two are of both parts painted (interior and exterior) with the windshield installed. The hood is not attached, just sitting in place.
On the spine are the missing details I made for the a/c light and the radio mast.

TfQDRX.jpg

z19HgV.jpg

Getting there! Just have to mask off the canopy area, then I can get her first coat of primer on and see what other work I need to do! :lol:

Terrific work Iain, one point which might be of interest, the kit has two vents just above the wing root behind the cockpit, those were introduced to aircraft serving in the Middle and Far East, though not all

OIP.xB9d4nHbVt7GLo7gCLt8_gHaE9?pid=ImgDe

The Sea Hurricanes didn't have them either

1af16bf62f3efea3c53109f413227ee2.png

nor the IIC's in Europe

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Nigh

The surface detail on the Fly Hurricanes is outstanding, really looking forward to seeing it under some paint.

11 hours ago, Jaro said:

Nice!

I am looking forward to the Hurri announced by Revell and how will they relate to each other.

@Jaro Yes, that will be interesting to see! Hope it's not full of inaccuracies like there Spitfire kits....

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Terrific work Iain, one point which might be of interest, the kit has two vents just above the wing root behind the cockpit, those were introduced to aircraft serving in the Middle and Far East, though not all

OIP.xB9d4nHbVt7GLo7gCLt8_gHaE9?pid=ImgDe

The Sea Hurricanes didn't have them either

1af16bf62f3efea3c53109f413227ee2.png

nor the IIC's in Europe

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Nigh

The surface detail on the Fly Hurricanes is outstanding, really looking forward to seeing it under some paint.

@Kagemusha Mine is an England based bird, so less work for me then!:lol:
Yes, the surface detail is really great! I've had to take extra care in not sanding off that marvelous detail. I also can't wait to get her painted, show off that detail.

1 hour ago, IainM said:

@Kagemusha Mine is an England based bird, so less work for me then!:lol:

Close, but no cigar! The kit has the vents, which you can see above the black panel on the wing root in the photo below, whereas the aircraft you're depicting doesn't, so they really require removing.

hawker_hurricane_mk_iic_by_daniel_wales_