• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is almost done, have put all the fiddly bits together and painted them, just a matter of getting the IP into place. But first I want to fill and sand the seam lines on the top of the engine cowling. The less stress I place on that area the better, and I don't want the Yahu IP popping out midway....

WCQvpy.jpg

0adAVe.jpg

I really haven't gone to town with detailing this kit. The more I get on with it, the more I realize it'll be like slapping lipstick on a pig. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying all she has to throw at me, trying to get my head around some parts and fit thereof, but there comes a point where just enough might be enough...

2llrMI.jpg

xD0lnp.jpg

Just added a couple of Airscale dials to the kit-supplied etch.

qu6BYv.jpg

With the limited vis into the cockpit, and even less once the glazing is on, I think that'll end up being enough. Cockpit "tub" is not secured yet, and it's still missing the IP and gunsight.

t9Y8hT.jpg

The joys of a limited run kit....plenty of epoxy resin in there to help with strengthening

b5r1Jk.jpg

Wheel bay insert got the same treatment, but this time with JB Weld. The undercarriage set-up is, amongst others, the weakest part/design of this kit, and I needed a solid platform to work off.

HG1ja0.jpg

tUNYX6.jpg

The gear extension strut troughs did not match up between the plastic and resin parts, and there was quite a gap as well. So easy fix, fill the resin part, and once the parts were joined, just shimmed and opened up the resin piece in the correct spot.

I had to carve out the half-moons in the area at the end of the u/c bay. That's where the gear legs are supposed to fit into - was just a lump of resin. Interesting times...

aEiuXl.jpg

I've replaced the lumps of plastic that were the attachment points between the legs and the bay with a bit of brass tubing. They'll sit on those pieces I carved out in the bay previously.
The gear extension struts have been replaced as well with some brass tubing. You can see the original piece of rod I cut off. Little bit nasty...
The hydraulic struts have has the same treatment, and the axles have been pinned with .45mm rod. The plastic on the kit is really soft, and everything is really bendy-bendy.

4kV4lv.jpg

Last couple pics are of the radiator housing. Nice bit of etch supplied in the kit!

PxCXhx.jpg

A little bit of progress on the Hurricane....the fuselage halves have been mated, cockpit and IP are in. There is not much to see - man, that must have been a tight space to fit into. My 6'5" frame would have been a no-go :evil_laugh:. The Yahu IP was an excellent fit in the end, and I think it was a worthwhile purchase over the kit offering.

YETJZV.jpg

The lower portion of the wing has been fitted to the fuselage, and all the join lines taken care of. The fit of the lower wing to the fuselage was surprisingly good, with very little fettling to do. I love the look of the fabric portion of the fuselage, should look even better under paint!

P0Xgtp.jpg

I've added a bit of strip styrene bits to help when fitting the wings to the fuselage portion - it'll make sure that the wings can't settle lower than those reinforcements.
Bolts on the head armour were punched from .010 styrene.

o3Vm6o.jpg

pra6EU.jpg

y87ugg.jpg

Nose/spinner portion required quite a bit of thinning to be able to fit the spinner plate, and the spinner/spinner plate had to be sanded down a bit as well to get a good fit.

VvYdga.jpg

The rest of the major components completed. The horizontal stabs had to be thinned quite considerably before they were thin enough to match the mounting points.
Prop blades are just dry-fitted into the spinner.

The wings and the clear styrene covers have been one of the major area of work. The clear parts are very hard, whilst the kit plastic is quite soft, so it was important to get as good of a fit as I could when mating them up, as I was afraid of doing too much sanding- and then sanding away all that lovely detail on the wings, some of which is raised.....

So once I had dry-fitted and sanded the mating portions of the wings as much as I could, using the dimensions of the clear parts as my guide, I then glued the resin landing light parts into the lower wing, taped the halves together, and then using Tamya Extra-thin, glued the trailing edges together first, waited for that to dry, then attached the clear parts to the wing halves. Once those had dried in place, I then glued the leading edges together - up to the outer cannon port. My thinking as per the photograph below is when I attached the wing to the fuselage, I'll first glue the inner leading edge to it's lower portion, then glue the wing seam, then the underside.
The unglued portion of the leading edge will then be able to accommodate any flex and allow me to sort out probable dihedral issues. Then once everything is set, I'll glue and fill the remaining portion between the gun ports.

BK7Dkq.jpg

Outer wing seams glued and filled. Just need to spray a coat of primer to see how much blending work I've got to do to try and get those clear parts looking like part of the wing.....:crying:

AcFIXi.jpg

Lovely stuff Iain, liking this build a lot! Who doesn't like a challenge!?  I'm reading this at the moment:

cBgmR5.jpg

and Yes, it is a tight fit in the cockpit......I have a flight booked for my 75th birthday next year in the world's only 2 seat Hurricane, there are weight and height restrictions but at 10 stone and a paltry 5'7" I'm OK:

RlzKFD.jpg

Edited by mozart

Lovely building of a lively bird, Iain!

I'm biting the brakes waiting for the release of the announced Revell's new tool.

have you yet glued the clear parts for the landing lights on the wing leading edge?

Brengun makes an aftermarket I found really nice, the item number is 32015.

I'm writing from the phone, so no photo, sorry!

11 hours ago, mozart said:

Lovely stuff Iain, liking this build a lot! Who doesn't like a challenge!?  I'm reading this at the moment:

cBgmR5.jpg

and Yes, it is a tight fit in the cockpit......I have a flight booked for my 75th birthday next year in the world's only 2 seat Hurricane, there are weight and height restrictions but at 10 stone and a paltry 5'7" I'm OK:

RlzKFD.jpg

Hi Max
That'll be an absolute treat! What an awesome experience to look forward to....no, my 195cm length would put me out of the running:evil_laugh: same problem, many years back I was offered a ride in a SAAF Mb326 (Impala), but it was quickly determined that the canopy would not close without me bending my neck down and my knees would not be clear of the IP in case of an ejection!

10 hours ago, Iain said:

Lovely work Iain!

Iain

@Iain Thank you Iain!

9 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Really impressive stuff, Iain! I'd have no problem fitting into that Hurricane cockpit. Seeing over the instrument panel might be a different issue, however.

Kev

@LSP_Kevin Haha! That's the tall and short of it then! :lol:

9 hours ago, mc65 said:

Lovely building of a lively bird, Iain!

I'm biting the brakes waiting for the release of the announced Revell's new tool.

have you yet glued the clear parts for the landing lights on the wing leading edge?

Brengun makes an aftermarket I found really nice, the item number is 32015.

I'm writing from the phone, so no photo, sorry!

@mc65 Yes, I've glued the clear parts in. FLY gives the resin wing inserts, a plastic light and then an etched cover (like Brengun offers) and that's all good, but it is the actual clear part that is an issue. VERY hard plastic.....quite nasty/interesting to work with...

3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Iain,

Super choice for your build.

Excellent  work so far.

:thumbsup:   :clap2:

The Art work  on the Box is almost like a Painting.

:bow:

@MARU5137 Thank you for that!!! Yes, that box art is gorgeous!!

Excellent work on a model that I don't see too often.  It is interesting to see the similarities between the Hurricane and Tempest, especially when it comes to cockpit configuration. Those fitment shims for the wing/fuselage join are a great idea... I'll have to look into that for my build.

9 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Some really nice efforts going on here Iain.  

Thanks! @Troy Molitor

8 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Excellent work on a model that I don't see too often.  It is interesting to see the similarities between the Hurricane and Tempest, especially when it comes to cockpit configuration. Those fitment shims for the wing/fuselage join are a great idea... I'll have to look into that for my build.

@Thunnus Thanks John! It's probably because it's such a beast of a kit that it's not seen often :evil_laugh: and until the Revell kit comes out, this is the one to build.
Yep, I needed to fix those shims on through necessity, the lack of location points anywhere on the kit don't help - but, it'll at least make for decent strength when the wings are on, hopefully won't be much chance of popping the wings off the fuselage once they're on.